Erode / Rock tool I'm building

Wout

Hey guys,

so I'm building a  procedural erode / rock tool.  Here are my results so far, the tool generates an infinite number of variations on these. I intend to add more surface detail like cracks and more small geometry details, breaking up the edges more,  tweaking the nodes and playing around with it. I'm very happy with the results so far.

Also I'd like to know if people are interested in this, it feels nice working on this knowing that it will be useful for people.

All the best,

Wout

1.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

Edited by Wout
  • Like 3

Thanks ! :)  No my approach is with booleans, because I want the sharp edges on the rocks.

So all of the renders above have an elongated sphere as base mesh, of course you can change this, into a cube, or whatever custom shape to get stuff like this :

Rock_Cube_Base_03.png.0c364edadd8ed6f8cf8f5c0afa04e32a.pngRock_Cube_Base_01.png.4f663674ab68f62e67e567332f5eb6e4.png

Rock_Cube_Base_02.png

Rock_Cube_Base_05.png

Rock_custmo_Base_03.png

Rock_custmo_Base_06.png

Edited by Wout
  • Like 2

Thanks guys ! :)

@6ril : It's basically boolean subtracting in a loop, that's in in a nut shell :) It's working pretty well, even though every now and then the boolean sop stops working, keeping the base mesh fairly simple helps, not too much jitter/distortion/mountain sop on the base mesh.

Oh I see, right now it's fairly highres mesh with bumpmapping for the small details. It's auto generating uv's and then it's rendered in Octane, which is taking quite long to preprocess because of the high mesh density. I'll probably look into generating displacement maps, if anyone can point me in the right direction ? 

Thanks ! :)