Dry Soil Cracks

beeemtee

Hi, i know it's not that interesting, but this seems to be my first successful attempt to write a usable shader for mantra. Another reason why i want to share this to show to other newcomers that it is a really good investment to learn how to shade in Houdini. while it's a bit trickier than in other packages, it is much more flexible and powerful as well. So here it is:

post-2183-1175805632_thumb.jpg

and a video.

dry_cracks.mpg

i know it's not finished nor perfect yet, but still all critics are welcome.

cheers

bmt

ok, i need some time to make things a bit more clever and realistic, than i gonna post a hip and a new animation without rotation :) . (in fact the rotation was there to illustrate the quality of mp displacement to some Maya guys.)

the tutorial is also a nice idea, and while i got never done one before, i can give it a try.

by the way a question.. is it possible to integrate a surface shader and a displacement shader into one asset?

cheers

bmt

Very nice.

Some constructive criticism: The cracks appear to 'fade in' - as opposed to erode in... perhaps have it erode from left to right, instead of all evenly? Or maybe a lot more smaller cracks?

The rotation is a bit rough.

The little dents (that are persistent through the whole animation) scream bump-map - or like a low-res texture map?

All in all, very nice. Can't wait to see the next revision.

thanks! a agree with you in all your points. the fading-in is the less realistic part of the stuff, and i messed up something with the mpeg encoding, thats why the rotation is sluggish at the beginning. sorry for that!

bmt

hi all there, it took me some time to find some time to spend on this..

i shouldn not have to say that it's not finished yet, but the shader does almost

everything what i wanted to do. i don't want to make it much more complicated,

since i want it to be a good starting point for similar effects. so what i did since the first version:

deleted the nasty channel solely responsible for the rotation, it wasn't me. :lol:

made the surface to get pulled towards the centers of each island. secondary

cracks don't pull-push the surface yet, that has to be done.. you will see it in the video.

made a minimal effort to clean out the network and name things reasonably, but it's really not done yet..

ran into trouble with the shift operator. destination max just doesn't do nothin. i really don't know

what i miss here, but it's really anoying since it's partially responsible for the still present fading-in,

which disturbes me a lot.

please help if you know what i'm apparently not.

ok. and what i didn't:

i didn't create a master "wetness" parameter to drive the others, based on control parameters.

make it a hda. thats gonna be my first :)

listen to your opinions. this whole experiment is based on common sence, and general ideas about shading and 3d. i have no serious renderman background, so it's probable that i didn't do things in the right way. so please feel free to point me at things what can be done better!

and i didn't experiment with uv's a lot. this gonna be apparent if you check out the shader preview.. i gonna fix that.

drycracks_2.mov

(low shading quality for fast render, sorry <_< )

dryCracks_02_pull.hipnc

(but now you can do your own on your quad core :) )

regards

bmt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...