Fire

Div

Hi,

I'm trying to make some fire and have some questions for you. I'm using Andrew Schneider's VEX flame shader ( http://www.cgijedi.com/scripting/maya&...ni_shaders.html ) on metaballs instanced on particles, and following the different posts i find on this forum i use a convert meta and a peak_sop to create my flames. That's give me a nice start, but i can't add more detail to the flame. I explain, the result mesh is pretty round and flat, so as the render with the x-ray shader, and i don't find a way to give more detail/relief to that mesh. I'd like to do a fire, with nice relief/details like this one, and don't know how/if i can add more details in sop, or should i do this in the vex shader, using some fractal noise ??

(Pictures is from Ron Fedkiw's website : http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/ )

Thanks

post-3119-1193309361.png

• 1 month later...
Here is the hip (houdini 8.1) and a quicktime of what i've got, how can i improve this ???

You could try the Fire Solver in Houdini 9.. It's not 1-click easy, but you might have fun?

To get more activity, use a Noise Field force and also use Vorticles. Unfortunately the current vorticle setup "Seed Vorticles" don't continually emit new vorticles, so you might have to have it a bit yourself and make a version which introduces more vorticles at the source.

Ivan deWolf had a nice movie of Houdini fire he made using the Fire Solver - perhaps he could post them here? Ivan?

Hi Miguel,

very clean and it looks quite optimized. Nice useage of $CA.

I took a look at the vex code in your v_velocity2 sop and I like the clean implementation of it (I read somewhere it is also a lot faster then using a point sop).

I was wondering where I can implement my own kind of vex code for sops. I've been looking through the help file on vex but couldn't find it straight away.

Through vops and an "inline" node I can have acces to vex, but I was wondering how you do this? I have to take a look at digital asset implementation a bit better, or maye it has to do something with the command line?

Same thing for the xray shader although I can see where that was implemented through vops.

Thanks for sharing this interesting example!

Hi pclaes,

I'm glad you liked it.

Yes, using vex is faster than a point sop.

To write your operator in VEX is easy. Go to File>New Operator Type, and there choose a place to save the otl, set it to vex style and your network type. In the new window (the Type Properties window) you can write the code going to the code tab.

I usually use VOPs, but in the case of that node I writed it by hand with a shorter code than VOPs would generate because I use it in almost all my scenes.

Great use of Vex there Miguel for the noise.Makes me wonder about hard coding more so less nodes need processing.About your use of $CR in the birth probability. I thought this variable could ony be added / used by the colour pop. Whats the reason behind its use is it just for visual reference ?. Certainly very impressed with your HIP.

Edited by rob

Great use of Vex there Miguel for the noise.Makes me wonder about hard coding more so less nodes need processing.About your use of $CR in the birth probability. I thought this variable could ony be added / used by the colour pop. Whats the reason behind its use is it just for visual reference ?. Certainly very impressed with your HIP.

I painted the emmison objet using noise and then used $CR in the source to emmit by the $CR intensity, so in the black areas there are no particles. I made that so the fire doesn't look so uniform.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...