Digital-Tutors - Fundamentals of Rigid Body Dynamics

michael

Fundamentals of Rigid Body Dynamics

Learn an intuitive workflow to creating complex rigid body simulations and realistic effects with practical projects and examples. Contains over 3 hours of project-based training for artists learning rigid body tools in Houdini.

Sample: Anatomy of a particle simulation

Popular highlights include:

* Rigid Body Setup

* Dynamic Operator Networks

* Physical Properties

* Initial States

* Deforming Rigid Bodies

* Forces

* Constraints

* Groups

* Rigid Body Creation

* Cookie Shatter

* Fracture and Glue Objects

* Animation to Simulation Switch

* DOP Expressions

Guest Swann
There sure is a massive push with learning dvds . Which is not a bad thing at all.

R

But the level of material could be a little higher, to much fundamentals out there. Of course advanced stuff we can learn here from masters but it will be nice to see more like CmiVfx Gary's or Gnomon Zeouruni DVD's.

I don't want to learn how to use preprogramed shelf tools, I want to know more about what's going on under the hood.

BTW. Hello CROVEX(pclaes) ;) Whats the weather in England today ?

EDIT: Hey everybody, This is not about Houdini but In your free time check this, never to much FUN.

FUN

Edited by SWANN

Guest Swann
i like the effort, the guys at digital-tutors put into.

but i also agree with swann.

hopefully they pulling off some advanced ones in the near future.

cheers

-J

Hopefully Mr. Gary will read this and wil do another great Tutorial. <_<

This DT title combines 2 things - basic stuff explained in the helpcards and some things that look remarkably similar to Craig Zerouni's Gnomon DVD - for example

the Newton pendulum project. Not good.

the newton project is a basics dynamics project though for any app. It one of the first dynamics things i did in both c4d and maya.

Maybe. But the tricks shown in lecture 15 - using $OS and $OBJID for object name and $OBJID for tx are straight out of the Gnomon DVD.

Same with some of the other tricks shown such as using the AutoFreeze DOP.

the newton project is a basics dynamics project though for any app. It one of the first dynamics things i did in both c4d and maya.

I cannot see the reason of investing in that DVD, even for a new user. It's great, that there are more and more tutorials around, but I think these (from DT) make a bad job here, since they don't explain anything, they show examples from a Help cards leaving new users without any understanding what's going on under the hood, and thus making that knowledge useless. Replace one node in a chain and a user will be lost.

The more, the better, the worse. The rule.

Hope they'll show up with something better prepared soon.

Cheers,

sy.

Edited by SYmek

I also agree on that. I don't know about this DVD specifically, but not only that I want to see more advanced stuff, I also want to see some less 'Houdini obvious' material.

I mean, why immediately creating a DVD on dynamics? Why not Mantra and shaders, why not character setup in Houdini?

Ditto.

Anyone can create a particle animation, but getting it to look good enough to put on a demo reel -

that's a whole different ball game. Something that shows how to create production-quality looking stuff would be great.

Why not Mantra and shaders, why not character setup in Houdini?

the stuff is simple so that beginners can understand it. THere just building up users and im sure there will be more advanced stuff in the future. You cant just jump into stuff that beginners wouldnt understand. Its better to have a userbase instead of making dvds that only people with experience would understand.

I also want to see some less 'Houdini obvious' material.

I mean, why immediately creating a DVD on dynamics? Why not Mantra and shaders, why not character setup in Houdini?

i think a lot of people still consider Houdini = POPS

Edited by mark

I cannot see the reason of investing in that DVD, even for a new user. It's great, that there are more and more tutorials around, but I think these (from DT) make a bad job here, since they don't explain anything, they show examples from a Help cards leaving new users without any understanding what's going on under the hood, and thus making that knowledge useless. Replace one node in a chain and a user will be lost.

The more, the better, the worse. The rule.

Hope they'll show up with something better prepared soon.

Cheers,

sy.

I sort of agree and not agree to what your sayng here.

It's true that they only show what a node visualy dose and not how it works under the hood, but in the past i have learned from these dvd's simply because when you play around with what they show you.

You start to see connections and thrue there you can figure out yourself what is going on internaly.

On the other hands you will never know about the exact details and or math.