fumefx

MENOZ

I'd say yes, but it's a lot of work, non trivial even. It's certainly not packaged up in a shiny interface.

That afterworks stuff looks amazing. I'd like to hear from someone who's used it in production.

http://www.afterworks.com/FumeFX.asp?ID=13

it's possible to achieve this kind of effect in houdini? with particle fluid simulation?

thanks!

I'd say fume is the best thing to happen for 3dsmax in years.

fume, TP3 and vray are the only things keeping me using the bloody heap.

The process of using fume is very simple and reliable, takes under

10min for an average sim, no more than an hour for a crazy one.

Renders in a few seconds @ HD with self-shadowing.

Only problems are that you can't re-time the cache and it tends to look

too soft for large-scale fx.

Oh, there's the disk space issue... but disk space is cheap right?

-cpb

I had the chance to work with fumefx recently and agree with most of whats been said. I think the shader could use some work and thats probably what makes alot of fumefx shots look the same. I'm not at all experienced with Houdini (yet) but I dont see why you shouldnt be able to get the same kind of results with Houdini's tools, much more difficulty to set up and probably slower, but with way more flexibilty. Any reason why not?

I've been using fume mostly for incidentals (dust, gunsmoke, steam), where you'd normally

use a card but would prefer to have some control over what's happening.

so the look depends on how you render and comp the effect. the animation is what really sells it.

I'm assuming the same kind of effects have been done better with Houdini.

I'd need to spend a solid month of brute-force trial and error to really figure it all out before I try. :blink:

I'll ask again about fume for Houdini...

• 4 weeks later...
Another problem is that it looks always the same. I've never seen anything that came from fumex to be different then sampples on a producer's web site. Strange. But it really looks good anyway.

sy.

This I would agree with - you see fumefx work and immediately it's "oh that's fumefx".

It is still the best tool out there at the moment straight out of the box. But I think with a lot of work, better results can be produced with Houdini

Yes, but that's only with people who are familar with the tool, which is, as things go, pretty rare.

Personally I'd love to see the math released so other people can work with it. I do think, however, that it's a gold egg laying goose and they're not about to let it free.

This I would agree with - you see fumefx work and immediately it's "oh that's fumefx".

It is still the best tool out there at the moment straight out of the box. But I think with a lot of work, better results can be produced with Houdini

Well I think there is no problem in getting such effects thro houdini with a far better level of control.but not much has been their in terms of exploring this area I mean kinda of learning resources.

The tools are all there, but a lot of them are still fairly new - it's only a matter of time before we start seeing some great learning resources for this sort of thing.