Jump to content
kemijo

Is AMD potentially risky? (Threadripper)

Recommended Posts

@einhander , If you're on the Renderman forums, there is a thread with comments regarding Threadripper and a suggestion that it may be slower with the vectorized OSL once Renderman 22 is released. That said the comments aren't necessarily relevant to the current 21 release...but perhaps it is related. Threadripper's performance in Renderman is a partial deal maker (or breaker) for me.

Here's the thread, look for the posts by plp (Phillippe):

https://renderman.pixar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35685&highlight=threadripper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kemijo said:

Here's the thread, look for the posts by plp (Phillippe):

plp answer's are vague, non-committal and doesn't use any metrics, best to just wait until someone does real-world tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marty said:

plp answer's are vague, non-committal and doesn't use any metrics, best to just wait until someone does real-world tests.

Fair enough. I've started a thread over on the Renderman forums asking for actual data, hopefully someone will chime in. Money burning a hole in my pocket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did anyone hear back from SESI if OpenCL CPU will be able to work on the 7900x or TR? I've priced a new build but being limited to the GPU ram for OpenCL is almost a deal breaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2017 at 3:51 AM, marty said:

did anyone hear back from SESI if OpenCL CPU will be able to work on the 7900x or TR? I've priced a new build but being limited to the GPU ram for OpenCL is almost a deal breaker.

Hi, didn't get to it but i'm pretty certain it's a short matter of time before we see support for both of them... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2017 at 10:31 AM, Diorn said:

GPU oCL -06:15  63.7% faster than no OCL  (gtx 1080)

@Diorn It's amazing to see double the performance with OCL enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VFXArabia said:

@Diorn It's amazing to see double the performance with OCL enabled.

I think i ran most tests 2 times but yeah, OCL on GPU seems to improve Grain results immensly, a good question would be how much gpu RAM is neccessary for your average type grain sim situation.  If you wish to make another type of grain Sim i can run it...

PS: On this particular station i am running 4x GTX 1080, but is OCL using all cards or only one? @marty any info about this?

Judging by ram usage during the sim, it is just 1 card... the ram usage went up 30% during this sim, so that would be aprox 2.4 gb V-ram for 700k points

Edited by Diorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 5:51 PM, marty said:

did anyone hear back from SESI if OpenCL CPU will be able to work on the 7900x or TR? I've priced a new build but being limited to the GPU ram for OpenCL is almost a deal breaker.

Hey Marty, CPU OpenCL does work on TR, it just wasn't as fast as the GPU. Unless you mean it's a suboptimal implementation.

 

6 hours ago, Diorn said:

PS: On this particular station i am running 4x GTX 1080, but is OCL using all cards or only one? @marty any info about this?

Judging by ram usage during the sim, it is just 1 card... the ram usage went up 30% during this sim, so that would be aprox 2.4 gb V-ram for 700k points

It will use only one card. If you have something like GPU-Z installed you can choose which card to monitor, and during OpenCL only one of mine was under load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool thanks. Yeah I reread the tests and the suboptimal results were been auto-translated in my brain to not working :) At a wild guess it's numa at fault here and if the TR was turned back into the 2 1800x chips it is then it would perform much better at opencl CPU. Game-mode would confirm this IMO. Looking foward the new i9 7980x should be pretty cool... once OpenCL is working on it too.

 

opencl gpu does only use one device but if you can distribute the sim into the different domains you can launch 4 hbatch sessions. Speed usually isn't meant to increase but you can run bigger sims by accessing more memory ie each card's vram.

 

@DaJuice @Diorn and anyone else with OpenCL CPU issues, can you please send in the test results and hardware specs to SideFX. Thanks! That is one of the best ways for them to work with upstream vendors to get this stuff all working, quicker.  You can log bugs from the Support menu on their home page.

Edited by marty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, marty said:

opencl gpu does only use one device but if you can distribute the sim into the different domains you can launch 4 hbatch sessions. Speed usually isn't meant to increase but you can run bigger sims by accessing more memory ie each card's vram.

@DaJuice @Diorn and anyone else with OpenCL CPU issues, can you please send in the test results and hardware specs to SideFX. Thanks! That is one of the best ways for them to work with upstream vendors to get this stuff all working, quicker.  You can log bugs from the Support menu on their home page.

Speed performance seems totally reasonable with OCL and if i can bypass the RAM capacity with your suggestion that's a sure win! I'm eager to try out a cloth grain based sim knowing this now... And I wonder if I can apply the same process for a larger Pyro sim with OCL...

I'll make sure to send the results to SideFX, Thanks Marty

Edited by Diorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 8:51 PM, marty said:

did anyone hear back from SESI if OpenCL CPU will be able to work on the 7900x or TR? I've priced a new build but being limited to the GPU ram for OpenCL is almost a deal breaker.

Mine worked straight out of box on Ubuntu 17.04, well kubuntu tbh, with CPU flag, so I ak guessing this is OS related

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tricecold said:

Mine worked straight out of box on Ubuntu 17.04, well kubuntu tbh, with CPU flag, so I ak guessing this is OS related

Super cool. That's very hopeful as I'm running Ununtu too with Ryzen 1700 and opencl CPU works very very well there.

Just want to see some test results, like in this thread, that shows how much better it is as the only metrics we have is that it's quit a bit slower so far. 

 

thanks heaps!

 

Edited by marty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×