maya vs houdini

sphirus

I usually dont reply to these kinds of threads, but c'mon sphirus... you are on a HOUDINI forum, so I think you can guess which way people are going to respond.

And as postezz stated, there are about a millon other "software battle" threads out there on any/every cg forum so you should check out those first before stirring the pot. Especially since this is your first post, i wonder what your overall intentions are here on odforce?

Edited by SpencerL

My friend,

people that ask this type of BS questions, should really rephrase that VS for worth the effort to learn houdini,

I guess the learning curve is really up there.

"whats better a big mac or a TBONE stake"

jumangic

www.pocoyo.com

post-2848-125676882071_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Each of them are right for a given job, you just have to know when one is needed.

ok so let's pretend for a second that this was the intention of the original post. ie. If someone doesn't know the difference and what would the situations be where you would use one vs the other.

Personally I would use Houdini for everything given half a chance. Yes, even character animation. Having said that though there are some things that I would never use Houdini for (right now anyway ;)). And that's cloth and modeling. Although I love to use Houdini for my personal modeling projects, I don't think it's quite up to par with other tools out there... and the cloth is just leagues away from ncloth still.

Houdini will take you longer to ramp up and get your work to an equivalent level in Maya, but once you're there then it's massively faster to make changes. This is changing though and Houdini is faster than ever now to get to some base level of productivity. Not like the old days :).

Anyone else?

M

Nine months ago I was browsing the web for answers to this question "High-end 3d application vs Another high-end 3d application".

First of all, you will never find an answer that isn't biased, and that is because every person has preferences in which software to use. Before I found Houdini I tried Maya, Cinema 4d, XSI and Modo, and then I tried Houdini which just amazed me, it wasn't anything I saw in a gallery or a reel that made me go with Houdini, because you can always find movies, pictures and concepts from any software out there which are miles ahead of anything you can do right now. No, when I had installed Houdini I knew that this was something I would be able to bash my head against for several months, and really, that is what's important.

Secondly, there are facts about each application, and these facts are what you should look for, not in a bashing X vs Y thread, but by reading articles and about work experiences with the software. For example, Houdini is very flexible and custom function programming is only a footstep away, this was one of the facts that made me look at Houdini. Or another one could be, Houdini has a steep learning curve. Which is true, it will take time before you can connect the different parts of the application together (and experience true "Houdini magic"). Modo is a great modeler, and a fast one as well. That's another fact.

You should ask yourself about what you want to accomplish with the software and compare your goals with the facts about the software out there.

Thirdly, be patient, can't stress that enough. Instead of asking on a forum for an immediate answer to your problem, try, really TRY to solve it yourself until your are completely stumped and out of ideas, you might just learn a great deal on the way, even if solving a problem yourself will take ten times the time that it would take getting an answer from the internet, it's (almost) always worth it.

Yip, and in the end I think it comes down more to your personal working style than anything else. For me, Houdini just fits... everything else feels weird. But for you May/XSI/Max might fit into the way your brain thinks and so that would be better for you.

There is no right answer here necessarily unless you're trying to achieve something specific that isn't really doable in package X (hence my cloth/modeling comments). But if it's just 'which one should I learn?'.... then... uh... go with Houdini ;).

M

For me tow packages teamed up work best. not xsi and maya, but one of the mainstreams teamed up with houdini. i prefere xsi for mainstream instead of maya. it is fast and does 80 percent of the job. for the last 30 more demanding stuff houdini is unbeatable. just my opinion.

cheers martin

Yip, and in the end I think it comes down more to your personal working style than anything else. For me, Houdini just fits... everything else feels weird. But for you May/XSI/Max might fit into the way your brain thinks and so that would be better for you.

There is no right answer here necessarily unless you're trying to achieve something specific that isn't really doable in package X (hence my cloth/modeling comments). But if it's just 'which one should I learn?'.... then... uh... go with Houdini ;).

M

Edited by sanostol

For me tow packages teamed up work best. not xsi and maya, but one of the mainstreams teamed up with houdini. i prefere xsi for mainstream instead of maya. it is fast and does 80 percent of the job. for the last 30 more demanding stuff houdini is unbeatable. just my opinion.

cheers martin

Just don't try use XSI on linux ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:(

M

• 2 weeks later...

We tried to nail it to: Some stuff which is hard to do in Maya is easy to do in Houdini and some stuff which is easy to do in Maya is hard to do in Houdini.

For people making choices about what software to use - Houdini comes out looking pretty good for two main reasons:

1./ Re-use - big studios with a long history of Houdini use amass a lot of re-usable production assets. That saves a lot of production $$$.

2./ Flexibility - for a studio that heads down the Maya path, they often find themselves in a position where - we need to do something that this software will not do. Do we start again in other software - or get a team of coders to write code to make it possible. This is kind of how studios end up with 100 programmers. Places like Digital Domain (in it's heyday) had almost no dedicated R&D programmers. That saves a lot of infrastructure $$$.

Out of interest - can people suggest how many dedicated maya (M) programmers various studios have vs dedicated Houdini (H) programmers? Starting estimates:

ILM - 100M 0H

DW/PDI - 30M 2H

SPI - 10M 4H

DD - 2H

MPC - 30M

DNEG -

Framestore -

Pixar - 30M 0H

Other ... (please add)

feel free to correct these ...

If you consider the output of these studios, and the 100K price tag of the average C++ coder - you have to wonder if all those developer $$ are making it to the screen - just so people can try and make pixels in a package which makes a set of certain simple things easy - but which soon hits a wall, and offers poor re-use.

Edited by tstex

Once you add in all the Maya TD's who spend almost all their time writing mel then that list can grow even higher on the dev side for some of the listed companies. Some add the Mel programmers to the list, some don't.

In general the Programmers for Houdini are for the most part are pipeline td's writing glue and integrating asset tracking, etc. They for the most part are not adding core functionality unless they are really pushing the limits of data size that Houdini can currently support (most recently Bullet comes to mind).

• 3 weeks later...

For people making choices about what software to use - Houdini comes out looking pretty good for two main reasons:

1./ Re-use - big studios with a long history of Houdini use amass a lot of re-usable production assets. That saves a lot of production $$$.

2./ Flexibility - for a studio that heads down the Maya path, they often find themselves in a position where - we need to do something that this software will not do. Do we start again in other software - or get a team of coders to write code to make it possible. This is kind of how studios end up with 100 programmers. Places like Digital Domain (in it's heyday) had almost no dedicated R&D programmers. That saves a lot of infrastructure $$$.

Out of interest - can people suggest how many dedicated maya (M) programmers various studios have vs dedicated Houdini (H) programmers? Starting estimates:

ILM - 100M 0H

DW/PDI - 30M 2H

SPI - 10M 4H

DD - 2H

MPC - 30M

DNEG -

Framestore -

Pixar - 30M 0H

Other ... (please add)

feel free to correct these ...

If you consider the output of these studios, and the 100K price tag of the average C++ coder - you have to wonder if all those developer $$ are making it to the screen - just so people can try and make pixels in a package which makes a set of certain simple things easy - but which soon hits a wall, and offers poor re-use.

Sir, little correct:

Pixar - 30M 1H

• 2 months later...

mmm i like this thread, im an advanced user in maya, but im learning houdini because i love the procedural nature... i would say this...

for what i would prefer maya?

for character creation and animation, this means for modeling, texturing, rigging, even nParticles and nCloth are pretty reliable. but if you want to create complex effects you have to program a lot, and a lot of things in maya are a "black box"

for what i would prefer to use houdini?

for advanced vfx techinques, when i wanna make complex visual effects involving dynamics, particles, volumes, and procedural animation, to push the boundaries of vfx.

it doesnt mean that maya is bad for dynamics or houdini is bad for modeling and animation, is just that some people feels more confortable in that way, all is just about personal tastes...

both programs are good, you just need to find where you feel confortable. :)

• Downvote 1

They're both a tool, Maya can do some good stuff for certain things, and Houdini can do some good stuff for certain things too. Each of them are right for a given job, you just have to know when one is needed.

exactly this is in a short, the point.

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

What about referencing? In Maya we can reference characters, props, and environment into the scene where the animator animate.

Can we do the same in Houdini?

I tried digital assets but it removes all my keyframe when I refresh my objects.

Been figuring for two days and I still can't figure out the equivalent in Houdini.

Anyone can shed light on this?