De-Subdivide

negow

Seems easy enough, remove each and every edgeloop so to de-subdivide a mesh. Zbrush has a way, but having it as a node would make my life a bit easier. The subdivision is Catmull-clark based, so the must be some logic behind vertexorder and such. At least I think so.

Example.

A box (8 points) -> Subdivide (26 points) -> Edit some of the verticies, sure -> De-Subdivide (8 points)

Is there a nice way of accomplishing this?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is so much nicer than polyreduce!

I have a question, though. The delete SOP is reducing every 1 out of 2 prims. Obviously, this requires a certain ordering of the polygons. I'm wondering what the sort order is on the original piece of geometry. Is it a standard modeling procedure?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/10/2010 at 2:49 PM, fxrod said:

This is so much nicer than polyreduce!

I have a question, though. The delete SOP is reducing every 1 out of 2 prims. Obviously, this requires a certain ordering of the polygons. I'm wondering what the sort order is on the original piece of geometry. Is it a standard modeling procedure?

fxrod did you ever manage to figure this out? 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2016 at 6:01 PM, A. Morales said:

fxrod did you ever manage to figure this out? 

It appears to only work with the way Maya is ordering the polys. -> works with geo coming from maya

To see the difference:

Export a .obj cube from maya and compare point numbers/prim numbers in Houdini to a houdini box object.

Also in maya hit "3" and convert that preview to polygons. expor that too.

In Houdini take a box, subdivide (catmull-clark, depth = 2) and the append delete sop with "range [1 of 2]".

Same delete sop applied to smoothed maya cube will give you the result you want while on houdini subd box it fails.

I yet have to find a way to reorder any geo in houdini to work with that method or change the method to work with houdini's way of ordering polys.

Edited by 3dome
hit enter on accident before finshing the post

yea. will do when i find time. or you switch to zbrush for that task, they have this implemented. but be sure to have a geometry as input that got its shape by subd. if you subd and then just delete a single face, the algorithm wont work