Houdini 12 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

• 4 weeks later...

That pruning thing looks interesting. At least on a sop level it looks like we could implement something that. I often clip heavy particles based on camera distance, density and some noise but this looks a lot more sophisticated (obviously!).

Edited by Macha

- navigate in interactive preview renderer!

The viewport now uses preview render mode by default when you use the Render Region. Holding spacebar temporarily suspends rendering and puts you in to navigation mode. When you release, it re-renders with the new view.

please, please, please speed up mantra.

we have all heard the apples and oranges analogies depicting mantra unfairly compared to other renderers...

scanline or raytrace, mantra IS near the slowest commercial engine.

mantra is widely held to be only viable when rendering will only involve a small portion of any given frame OR when combined with a powerful renderfarm.

sidefx is falling farther and farther behind the technology curve. resting on the proverbial laurels and relying on big farm budgets to pickup the slack.

please, please, please speed up mantra.

2n0r6zc.gif

Edited by smaugthewyrm

• 2 weeks later...

- object based display properties, like wireframe, shaded ...

- volumefluids: a way to visualize the noise, scale and so on

- animations on objectpositions editable in the viewport

- the pointcloud/volume queries in vop could be easier to access than op:/...

-optransform() should have a ready to use node in vop

- advect by volume in pops with rotation, like when You embed particles in dops

-vopnetworks on the object level, the objectnode should have a vopnetwork like container where You can do all kind operations (vector, matrix,...) on all parameters.

Edited by sanostol

Given the way the VEX SIMD engine works, VOPs will not buy you anything (eg. speed) except for the graphical nodes. If you really want to do custom objects, then Python objects (which you can do right now) are probably the way to go.

- cache reload should give a progress bar and should be stoppable by ESC

- same goes for scene loading and saving

- pointsize of delayed loaded pointclouds should be controlable by a multiplier and override parameter in the delayed load

- unified xml style for all menues in houdini

- even if many people don't like it, if a folder does not exist for renderoutput it should be generated before the render starts

- the /obj/Dopnetwork/:Dopopject/Data path should be simplified to /obj/Dopnetwork/Dopobject/Data and fields and data would be cool if they would be visible popup explorer

-the take dropdown menu of the output nodes should display the hierachy structure of the takes. childtakes could be indented to their parents

-plugins should be able to be loaded into a running houdini session, for example You can unload a operatero and recompile it andreload it again

Edited by sanostol

just wanted to emphasize these few apparently small but really useful ' tweaks ' ; hopefully in H12 .

- animations on objectpositions editable in the viewport

+1

Viewport:

- Display of instances in viewport

- display of custom attributes like quaternion, matrix3, and matrix with a axisicon

- pimp up the ogl viewport comment for displaying all kinds of info, like take, scene, date, artist and so on and it should always be inside the captured region

- navigation in interactive previewrender

and please:

as soon as You enter a textfield, it should be only possible to leave it by clicking or hitting enter, ...

+1

--

these props wd fit well in sop nodes' parameter window , imho .

--

- Display of instances in viewport

with a selectable ' proxy geometry ' option , wd be the best !

--

i wd add a couple of reqs ;

- more examples within docs

- ( possibly ) , include more tools done with houdini's own tools ;)

.cheers

im not sure if i forgot this or was 'afraid' to ask for , but here it is another ;) :

- id ask to hou-makers to be a bit more 'generous' in H12 toward Escape clients like me ( since i cannot afford actually the Ma$ter license actually ( considering upgrades also ) and i do not know how many ESC-exclusive users are here (?) )

with more generous , i mean ;

even basic 'encapsulated' physical simulators wd be great to have . relatively basic ( like the ParticleSopNode actually in ESC ) cloth-sims , wave-sims , rbd & Co wd minimize the need to use other additional 3d-apps and transfer data in'n'out with those .

oc and again , this ' wish ' maybe makes sense for ESC-exclusive users , but it is easier to write that than write : 'please review your Master license price .. ' ;) . sometimes , i have the perception that Escape mostly is used for specific tasks and from specific users who have a Master license on the Computer of the Next Door , but in my case i'm trying to use it for all of my 3D-needs . to be fair , i do not need to blow up buildings and cities in my everyday work . so , i wish i could have some basic physic sims tools available inside ESC for any logo animation , glass filling liquids , company flag or curtain animation and similar elementary effects with basic controls . doing this , maybe , Houdini might increase also its user-base with its entry level product , which from the other side wd fulfill most of the needs to small studios or individual artists . do not get me wrong . i love ESC , am happy with what i can do with it and every cent i paid for ; it is worthy . just think again ... :)

i know i exaggerated , but it is sincere ... and maybe 'unique' presuming that i'm the only One that uses a single ESC license here .

.cheers and best wishes now to you ! ... on the next release .

Edited by zarti