Houdini 12 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

• 2 weeks later...

today i saw first hand what opencl can do for a renderer. using a demo of indigo render 3.0.12 on a mac i made the below

screenies.

rendering with cpu only for 1 min

indigorendererscreenie0.jpg

rendering with openCL GPU for 1 min

indigorendererscreenie0.jpg

cpu specs: xeon w3530 2.8GHz (quad core - 8 threads)

gpu specs: ati HD6870 1GB

with this renderer, the image is refined the longer it is allowed to work on the scene. the above diff. in progress would only

grow larger with even more time.

many aspects of houdini would shine if they could tap some openCL processing cycles.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Fast and versatile instancing would be great, it would fit the Houdini Way most excellently.

This is something that has been discussion before, specially thanks to Mark's clusterThis project.

Yep Houdini needs better and faster ways for isntancing geometry, SOHO needs to handle this much much faster.

This is soo used in FX.

Really needs some improvements.

and I want to see them in ogl, too

This is something that has been discussion before, specially thanks to Mark's clusterThis project.

Yep Houdini needs better and faster ways for isntancing geometry, SOHO needs to handle this much much faster.

This is soo used in FX.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xionmark

This is soo used in FX.

My hope is we'll have good news on this tonight ... please!!! :-) The clusterThis DSO is really a teaching project, something to get started from, something to have fun with; SESI can build a much better tool, production hardened (and using all the tricks that may not be exposed in the HDK API).

--Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So this is kind of small but.... when I create a netbox on two adjoining nodes laid out on a grid, it would be cool if the netbox did not overlap onto other adjoining nodes.

So have the netbox borders pay attention to the grid spacing, and just be generally a little bit tighter around the nodes. The same thing with stickies.

It will keep the node networks from becoming too massive if I could work tighter.

A sub-statistic of the duration for when Mantra is creating Octrees and converting to .rats at render time.

These things can take significant time depending on the composition of the scene, and can be easily manipulated to be faster, but it would be much easier to see a specific time duration for these processes, and all sub-process ran at render time. This would be nice if it could come with the package, instead of creating a lot of scripts to read it from the current statistics output.

Pressing the ESC key doesn't always stop Python or Hscript cooking( can be really frustrating ) it would be good to have Python and Hscript as external processes so they can be killed.

when editing a Python script, the "Apply" button shouldn't put the script back to line 1.

Edited by bunker

In the shop/Vop context make the invisible switch on a parameter node able to be animated, and allow the interface to graphically change.

This way when you make an interface you can hide swaths of it when you toggle on and off different sections of your code. As an example if you are not using reflection, or displacement it would hide those larger sections, or on a simpler piece if you are not using a map you can hide the gamma, channel selection, and placement modifiers. Another example simplifying the mantra surface down to a constant shader, and enabling more sections of the code to reveal the whole thing.

Also this would allow you to maintain an interface that you have designed in the same manner you would normally do, instead of having to learn another method of building them from code.

In the shop/Vop context make the invisible switch on a parameter node able to be animated, and allow the interface to graphically change.

This way when you make an interface you can hide swaths of it when you toggle on and off different sections of your code. As an example if you are not using reflection, or displacement it would hide those larger sections, or on a simpler piece if you are not using a map you can hide the gamma, channel selection, and placement modifiers. Another example simplifying the mantra surface down to a constant shader, and enabling more sections of the code to reveal the whole thing.

Also this would allow you to maintain an interface that you have designed in the same manner you would normally do, instead of having to learn another method of building them from code.

Well I will make something like the Disable rules, but called Visibility rules, so you can hide parameters depending on other parameters values.

Well I will make something like the Disable rules, but called Visibility rules, so you can hide parameters depending on other parameters values.

Cool! That would certainly work.

Out of curiosity is there any reason you would repeat the disable rules controls as opposed to making the visibility control animatable, like wirable with vops? I'm guessing the programing based on the disable rules is more parallel to what I asked, but that is a little outside my bounds.

• 2 weeks later...

another wish ...

mostly related to the huge amount and really precious examples of HIP files , which many Hou users already have / will upload on forums .

> make it possible to have a section called " non-official-examples " from within Hou help system itself for any node .

my idea is to have a quick access ( without the need to jump and get lost in forums ) to those user-made HIP files .

a short description + a hip file + any external link ( the original thread / reference )

maybe we should be able and should also be encouraged to do that .

we wd help more effectively each-other , enrich the docs and help HouMakers in this direction ,

.. which once in a while might revise or relink the examples' posts to other nodes used in that example ..

.. i don't know guys .

=)

.. not exactly what i was thinking , but this ( structure ) looks like a good example to me ;

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.5/Manual .

quickN'easy orientation and navigation .

crosslinked .

filters and tags .

easy expandable with solutions and hips from users .

locally downloadable and syncable .

integrated inside Hou's help page UI .

indeed , looks like odWiki is the best candidate for that Role . =)

.cheers

.. not exactly what i was thinking , but this ( structure ) looks like a good example to me ;

http://wiki.blender..../Doc:2.5/Manual .

quickN'easy orientation and navigation .

crosslinked .

filters and tags .

easy expandable with solutions and hips from users .

locally downloadable and syncable .

integrated inside Hou's help page UI .

indeed , looks like odWiki is the best candidate for that Role . =)

.cheers

That wiki is amazing, thanks for the link. Also I would love for the od[force] wiki to become a houdini and/or vfx library of some kind. We're actively looking for people to maintain and update it, so if that sounds like something you'd like to do then please let me know.

Thanks

Marc

the objectMergeSOP correctly imports geometry with transforms applied on vectors with rotation of the source object. unfortunatley this doos not work on quaternions, would be cool it this would be supported, too. right now the only way to overcome this is to decompose the rotation into vectors before and reconstruct the rotation again.

... I would love for the od[force] wiki to become a houdini and/or vfx library of some kind. We're actively looking for people to maintain and update it, so if that sounds like something you'd like to do then please let me know.

Some information about the wiki skin and features. Maybe you can get even more ideas.

LINK