Spaceship engine

rohandalvi

hi,

So, I am doing a personal project after almost a year. This time, for the first time in almost 6 years since I started using Houdini, i decided to model 100% in Houdini. It's been quite a learning experience so far.

The model is a modular spaceship engine, which is in a factory for regular maintenance and repair. I have yet to model the remaining factory. :)

Let me know what you think.

regards

Rohan Dalvi

post-1625-0-63395200-1374517418_thumb.jp

post-1625-0-81174700-1374517424_thumb.jp

• Like 3

hi,

Thanks for all the compliments.

Just posting another update.

Did a slight bit of painting in photoshop over the render. Not my best work. :) but it is a WIP.

As far as modeling tips are concerned. I guess once i finish everything, I will be in a better position to answer that question.

regards

Rohan

post-1625-0-52323400-1375001915_thumb.jp

post-1625-0-67059500-1375001926_thumb.jp

Edited by rohandalvi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the lighting scheme along with the modelling. I am curious as to the size you are trying to represent. I think if you lower the camera more to the ground or place a simple cylinder to represent a human it might help as there is a point of reference, also be careful on the DOF (it can tend to make objects look like miniatures). If these are just wip shots then disregard my comments.

Great work, looking forward to more.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. As to the scale, the little floaty chair thingy in the corner with the cables connected to it, that is supposed be the chair in which the technician will sit, so that's the scale I am aiming for. I will be putting in some more stuff, maybe something like a small vehicle or maybe a scissor lift to better convey the scale, but I am not there yet. Posting a few more updates.

I am starting to dread the texturing level now. :)

regards

Rohan Dalvi

post-1625-0-90258300-1377369474_thumb.jp

post-1625-0-59171100-1377369482_thumb.jp

Edited by rohandalvi
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

hi everyone,

coming back to my project after a very long time. 

Had to take a break due to some major project work.

I am finally close to finishing up the modeling and will finally get down to creating the materials.

The render is slightly low quality thus the high amount of noise. It took almost 5.30 hrs to render full HD.  My machine is pretty old. I might just have to upgrade my machine quite soon. :)

regards

Rohan Dalvi

post-1625-0-29834600-1391357864_thumb.jp

Edited by rohandalvi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

finally close to finishing the modeling. Just a few minor additions and then I am done. I have actually come to like modeling in Houdini. If they can only add a bridge tool and a connect tool like 3dsmax I would be very happy. And also ring select for edges.

Added an arm on the ground to hold the engine in place. It felt a little too big to just sit there on it's own. What if it were to keel over and drop on some poor passers by's head. :)

Already started with some basic materials. Will start working on the texturing by next week. 

This was a 6 hour render on an i7 920. Still has some grain in it but it's ok for a test render. I actually added more grain in Lightroom just to make the grain feel more uniform.

Coloring was done in Adobe Lightroom, went a little nuts with it. Didn't want to go with my usual warm and cool lighting so I decided to try something else. 

regards

Rohan 

post-1625-0-71165000-1395336500_thumb.jp

Edited by rohandalvi
  • Like 1

Looking great so far, nice level of detail without going overboard. Textures will really bring it to life. 6 hours sounds like a long time for a single frame at this res though, maybe your settings could be optimised. I wouldn't know how to help you there yet though I'm afraid!

Having just started to model in Houdini, any tips/tricks you'd like to share so far with the modelling process. I'm coming from 3ds max, so it's pretty different to what I'm used to.