FLIP smorganic/sheeter effect?

poppy

3 hours ago, sekow said:

thanks very much.

out of curiosity, how do you come up with a scale of 75? Is that trial and error?

Hi Sebastian!

You're welcome!

About the values, it mainly depends on what you want, for that example file that value works well. Its pretty high because the resultant gradient has very low magnitude. Remember that this file is just a template, a very rough template, so much to refine still! ;)

Cheers!!

Edited by Pazuzu

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, michaelb-01 said:

Hi @Pazuzu, how do you think H16's new surface tension compares to your technique?

Hi Michael!

The implementation is very different. My technique is more a bunch of hacks than a "Physical Based Solution", mainly to deal with the FLIP/PIC limitations for small scale sims, like packing, volume loss, etc. Another main difference is that mine is particle based (I use also fields, but the forces are apply at particle level), the new ST that comes with H16 is volume based, it behaves very nicely, but if you need very small details you need to increase volume res and also timesteps, loosing the main benefits of the FLIP/PIC method, the speed.

I hope that this answer your question!

Cheers!

Alejandro 

18 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

Hi Michael!

The implementation is very different. My technique is more a bunch of hacks than a "Physical Based Solution", mainly to deal with the FLIP/PIC limitations for small scale sims, like packing, volume loss, etc. Another main difference is that mine is particle based (I use also fields, but the forces are apply at particle level), the new ST that comes with H16 is volume based, it behaves very nicely, but if you need very small details you need to increase volume res and also timesteps, loosing the main benefits of the FLIP/PIC method, the speed.

I hope that this answer your question!

Cheers!

Alejandro 

Cool, thanks Alejandro!

• 1 year later...

Here is another test using a last iteration of my tools to do small scale stuff. This time, now is possible to art direct how much do you want to break a sheet into drops and tendrils, and there are some Micro Ripples on the sheets that are relative to the fluid speed and curvature at some portions of the main fluid body!

oil_details_shading_cam01_v001.mp4

Thank you!

Alejandro

Edited by Pazuzu
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Atom said:

Nice work, does this make use of the new H17 retime node?

Thanks Atom!

For this retime I used an old tool that I developed years ago to do almost the same as the new retime tool, the main differences are the nice interpolation options for attributes that the new H17 one has, mine just have linear as interpolation option, so I'll migrate very soon to that one.

Alejandro

On 2/8/2019 at 6:28 PM, Pazuzu said:

Here is another test using a last iteration of my tools to do small scale stuff. This time, now is possible to art direct how much do you want to break a sheet into drops and tendrils, and there are some Micro Ripples on the sheets that are relative to the fluid speed and curvature at some portions of the main fluid body!

oil_details_shading_cam01_v001.mp4

Thank you!

Alejandro

Hey man, great job, are those micro ripples in the simulation itself, or you are exporting attributes to drive them in the meshing stage?

6 minutes ago, moneitor said:

Hey man, great job, are those micro ripples in the simulation itself, or you are exporting attributes to drive them in the meshing stage?

Hablame en espanhol viejo Hernan, por lo menos pa que practique!! :)

Estoy usando el gradiente del atributo que genero dentro de la simulacion para detectar el FreeSurface; Los MircroRipples en este preview son calculados en simulacion, pero a veces no se contrastan lo suficiente asi que los contrasto a nivel de mesh tambien para que se noten mas aun, ya que al rasterizar las particulas se pierden si no se usa una resulucion muy alta, por ende opte tambien en tener una solucion que no necesite resoluciones muy altas para hacerlos mas notorios.

En este preview podes notarlos directamente en las particulas!

Saludos

/,,/ /,,/

crown_v004.mp4

Edited by Pazuzu

27 minutes ago, HowardM said:

Thanks everyone, cool stuff!  Great shading on your last render Pazuzu!  Mind checking your messages?  Cheers!

Hey Howard! Sorry about that! Here is the scene, I polyreduced a bit one of the frames of the sim to have a less heavy file to share!

By the way, that mesh still has a freeSurface attribute; So you can use that gradient for nice shading effects.

I forgot to say that this scene uses Redshift. v2.6.32; H17.459.

Cheers!

Alejandro 

FLIP_crown_v005_share.hip

Edited by Pazuzu
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

Hablame en espanhol viejo Hernan, por lo menos pa que practique!! :)

Estoy usando el gradiente del atributo que genero dentro de la simulacion para detectar el FreeSurface; Los MircroRipples en este preview son calculados en simulacion, pero a veces no se contrastan lo suficiente asi que los contrasto a nivel de mesh tambien para que se noten mas aun, ya que al rasterizar las particulas se pierden si no se usa una resulucion muy alta, por ende opte tambien en tener una solucion que no necesite resoluciones muy altas para hacerlos mas notorios.

En este preview podes notarlos directamente en las particulas!

Saludos

/,,/ /,,/

crown_v004.mp4

Brutal viejo alejo, yo tengo ganas de hacer un ripple parecido para deformaciones de metal a gran escala, pero seguramente lo hare como un postproceso.

5 hours ago, moneitor said:

Brutal viejo alejo, yo tengo ganas de hacer un ripple parecido para deformaciones de metal a gran escala, pero seguramente lo hare como un postproceso.

Gracias viejo Hernan! Para eso hay una muy buena referencia, y podrias hacerlo si quieres de esta forma, el problema esque necesitarias tets (seria deformarlos de cierta forma para asi enganhar el tool ya que no salen directamente de FEM) y lastimosamente es una pesadilla en cierta geometria, pero creo que vale la pena pillarlo! Aqui te dejo un link:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/48343/?page=1#post-219429

Saludos,

Alejandro