lets make a new challenge!

And, of course it would be mandatory to give out the .hips of all entries!

I'm all for this, although some of the ideas do sound like they would be quite a bit of work..

+1

Learned a lot from past challenges, but I'm up for it regardless the sharing requirement :)

That's totally true.

The workflow is incredible important, more significant than the end results. Efficiency and technique are the most interesting part of any project, kudos be to the sharer of .hips!

But that's exactly why it was mandatory, so that others could learn from the best workflow :) and if i recall correctly there were 2 winners first one to post a solution and one with most elegant solution.

Edited by Owl

potentially you can can win both awards if you choose to divulge your hipfile,
while if you don;t you can only win the other award.

personally I'd love to see everyone divulge their .hips but there might be corporate contracts barring people from doing so,

and they might still create inspiring work. anyways I'd love to see rigging, muscle sims, etc

but also crowd systems, abstract creations, tree generators, procedural modelling challenges etc.

I didn't mean for what i said it to be such a focal point of discussion. If most people have no problem with it then the better it is for everyone (including myself). We all know geniuses frequent this place from time to time :), i just did not want anything deterring them from wanting to join in on an informal challenge or feel under pressure to open source their efforts regardless of their intentions. I see a lot of discussion around judging, I don't know if this is a contest where prizes are awarded for the best entrants (that takes more time and organization) or if it's a forum challenge where it's simply a community event and not necessarily a competitive one. 

Edited by abvfx

New idea, 24H (or weekend) challenges based on a still image or movie. Say, this gets posted as the challenge: (not that it should be)

weird-bad-fail-transporting-very-overloa

The idea then would be to duplicate the image. It looks simple, but there's a lot going on. From the interaction of the line and the bags, to the tilting truck to the soft shadows on the ground and the foliage in the background.

The goal would be more of a sprint than a leisurely tech demo. Because I've found that it's easy to do work when you've got weeks or months, but a lot better challenge when you only have hours or days (and the rest of your busy life is trying to get your attention).

I think it would be cool too to have a higher frequency set of challenges.

Edited by kleer001

Hey

So now's probably a good time to explain how we've done this before. The prior challenges were just anyone with a cool idea that wanted to challenge the community to come up with interesting ways to achieve some goal. They're normally smaller, short time frame challenges that have an unofficial requirement of sharing hipfiles (not mandatory, but encouraged). No prizes, no winner, only the satisfaction of having fun and creating something awesome.

Then we have the longer more formal challenges where we hand out animated gifs as prizes. You know you want those! These don't come with any hipfile sharing encouragement since they're seen as more time consuming affairs where the end product is the goal, not necessarily the way you got there.

We're open for discussion on this though. Ideally we want you guys to feel empowered to do stuff! So with that said, go to town. Enjoy yourselves, post challenges all day long. If you want to organise a more formal one with real prizes speak to me and I'll strongarm SESI or something (ask politely perhaps?).

M

The downside to contests like Marc pointed out is the sharing of methods will be pretty light (usually only reserved till the contest is over). Also there tends to not be a lot of forum participation, people like to play their cards close to their chest. I have seen this with a lot of contests.

Are we in agreement that we want a challenge oriented style event? Those types of challenges tend to be more technical sketches but allow for expansion, so people can spend a short time and produce something interesting or spend a little longer.

Is there a decided topic? or should we be starting a poll?

Yeah I have to say that the best challenges are still the ones where someone randomly posted an idea and everyone ran with it. It's a lot of fun to try and come up with a solution to something that's not necessarily specific to anything we do (the sunburn challenge for example), but is technically challenging to do.

My .2c: Start a poll, or just dive in and start a challenge thread.

Are we in agreement that we want a challenge oriented style event?l?

Why not a collaborative effort? Something so big it requires a team. I'm sure we like to think we're even handed, but lots of us have specialties, I'm sure. Maybe in the forum topic we toss into the ring the things we're fluent at or would like to branch out into, kind of like the whole forum its self in microcosm. From there the practical project its self should emerge pretty clearly. I'm sure we could take on something pretty significant.