Leaf Shader - How to get realistic translucency?

JonathanGranskg

I just reported this in the Feeback section of the forum. What is also weird is that on a thread where I experienced this the poster replied and I was going to reply again and instead of getting a blank slate for my reply I got the reply from my previous post instead. My guess is there is a fence-post error in the comment count number or something. So we get a non-comment number because it does not actually exist and I got the previous one because the count was off or something...?

2 hours ago, Mzigaib said:

What I meant by shadows is the ones casted by the object on others.

isshadow should do the trick, see attached. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 5.15.01 am.png

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am a 3dsmax user who is in the process of learning Houdini.
I am trying to make translucent leaves and render them with Mantra.
My efforts to figure this out have been quite frustrating.
I currently have a leaf material I constructed using the "principledshader" node, but this node has no translucency options or settings.
However using a principledshader is much easier for me to understand having come from 3dsmax, I know what many of the settings do and have applied opacity, diffuse color, roughness, and normal bitmaps and they look nice.

After downloading the "leafTransparency_sh_v01.hip" file I gained some of an understanding of how to get translucency within a vopsurface node in the shop network.
Unfortunately my understanding of the shop network is severely lacking, I can't even figure out how to apply a bitmap color texturemap to a vopsurface shader. Is it possible to pipe the results of a shop shader over into a mat/principledshader?

In this thread it is mentioned that the "PBR Diffuse" node has a translucent Diffuse Model. This is where things get pretty frustrating as a 3dsmaxer learning Houdini.
The PBR Diffuse node has a "layer" output and a BSDF "f" output. I have absolutely no idea where I can connect those to a principledshader node.
I can set the PBR Diffuse node to be the material for the object I am rendering (instead of the principledshader), but the translucent Diffuse Model always renders completely black.

Could anyone be so kind as to help me understand how to either get functioning translucency into the PrincipledShader, OR how to combine the results of the principledshader with a vopsurface shader so I get the elements I want from both?

58 minutes ago, dyei nightmare said:

PBR difuse has the option to create translucency

As you can see in my post, I know PBR Diffuse has a translucency mode, but when I try to use it it renders black. This means i don't know how to use it correctly. I am looking for someone to help me understand how to implement PBR Diffuse because as a Houdini newbie I cannot figure it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, yes, the previous author is right, i tried the ways with pbr diffuse and way with frontface, nothing works in PBR render mantra, just black grid and thats it, in Raytracing is fine, but i need it in PBR, how to do this ?? 

v5kwjM

Edited by eistan

Perhaps something like this. It is PBR Diffuse in translucency mode, 'shade both sides as front' is disabled. I think it should go as additive on top of some usual shader, as it seems it shades only opposite side of light. Alone is not enough.

transluc.jpg

• Like 1