which are the most wanted set of effects by companies?

thats the question,   

i want to add a very significative example on my demo reel, so i would like to add a very important example,  so  i would like to ask, which are the most strong kind of example you may have in your reel?  something that every studio is looking for,  in which matter??    explosions?  tornadoes?  destruction??  which kind of thing that you can do in houdini is the most valuable one for any vfx company?

I'd say anything like that would be fine - it's the quality that is important, how well does the effect integrate with live action?

instead of just building an explosion in a blank scene - go out and shoot some video of a car or something then blow it up...much more effective demonstration of your skills...

HTH

• Like 2

I think your best bet is to narrow your scope and focus on two or three effects that you're best at, rather than trying to do every element known to man. If I were to pick the top three, I'd say:

1. Smoke / Fire
  2. Particle Effects
  3. Destruction
  • Like 1

Honestly, I will do something different?

I'm tired of watching fluids and destruction in reels.

I prefer people that is original and try different things.

Why not some procedural modelling for a change ?

I agree with Michael and Pablo.

*) Integration with live action is important. As that will force an fxcomp as well as lighting integration. Also this will keep the focus on the effect instead of trying to create a full cg environment.
*) In terms of subject matter, construction can be a lot harder than destruction. So growing things might be nice, or crowds and ai stuff can be nice. Or phase changes: solid to liquid to gas: ( melt some butter and make it boil). This is shows that you can truly manage data across multiple contexts.

*) If you do want to do destruction, you should aim for multiple layers of copmlexity. A simple voronoi fracture will not stand out. So you should aim for: high resolution volumetric fractured pieces, multiple types of materials interacting with each other, complex constraints behavior. Secondary effects such as dust and debris. Multiple shaders and textures. And then comp this on a live action plate.

• Like 2

Good points by Peter!

• Integration - shows that you can deliver your element, well lit, and well-suited for compositing.
  • Destruction - simple voronoi looks obvious. Layer complexity.

I also think it comes down to what you like to do and excel at, as others have said. Put your strongest foot forward.

Whatever was underbid by the company looking at your reel. Not really, you can't know what they're looking for. But if you're lucky enough to have it then you're golden.

Whatever natural phenomenon does not come out of the box. It used to be that fluids were difficult to do. Then large scale destruction. Then sand. Now? What's takes a lot of under-the-hood work? That's a good question. Whatever you choose push the limits of your skill set and hardware.