Advanced Bubbles - Flat Intersection

ParticleSkull

Hey guys, i'm trying to create that flat intersection real life bubbles have when intersect with each other.

Like this:

bubbles%20small_zpssalniofr.jpg

I've found an old topic about it (from 2006-2008) where the guy called Macha solved it (download hip) and it looks almost perfect but I don't really understand what is going on there. Could anyone help me to understand it?

It's done using the old for each sop. Would it be better to use the new loop tools?

Here's a couple of screenshots of Macha's setup:

Bubbles-Setup_zpsdpo7pon6.jpg

Thank's

Alvaro

Edited by ParticleSkull

I think it is kind of one-trick pony setup. All that additional FOREACH is doing is scaling the 3 spheres by zero to use their center point for the fracture points.

In this quick modification I have scattered a few points across a grid and introduced some random size. The logic behind this network kind of breaks down. Not sure why? Perhaps clipping needs to take size into account?

post-12295-0-32321000-1459283466_thumb.p

ap_bubbles.hipnc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

I don´t know how fast it will be but this kind of overlapping always screams volumes to me. I would try with a vdb setup generating new volumes from intersecting bubbles...

...admittedly, it might be kinda slow for many bubbles.

Edited by Netvudu

3ifyFXg.png

There is a core of the Voronoi Fracture node called Voronoi Split. A very simple node expecting geometry and fracture points connected as polylines. It slices geometry right at the middle of them. That is why different scales not work. We can slice each bubble and move neighboring points closer or further to move middles right at the place of two spheres intersection.

foam.pngfoam_wire.png

Another quick idea is to find two nearest points of a point wrangle's second input's pointcloud and set point positions (or pixel values at rendertime or even volume density) when two distances are close to intersection point.

bubbles.hipnc

UP: there is better version below.

Edited by f1480187
  • Like 5

That is a nice example. Is there any way to guarantee point count? In this image I have set the scatter to 16 but I only get 6 bubbles?

post-12295-0-66469000-1459341892_thumb.j

I guess the next step is to figure out how to add a ring of tiny bubbles around these "hero" bubbles.

• 2 years later...
On 30/3/2016 at 8:41 PM, f1480187 said:

There was an error in pop_too_close wrangle. It deleted both intersecting bubbles, not just the smaller one, drastically reducing bubblecount. Normally it should remove only degenerate bubbles almost enclosed by neighbours. It also seems that whole loop can be replaced with a point wrangle. So, it cooks instantly now, retains topology and scales better.

post-13104-0-08206500-1459394477_thumb.p

Scattering and pscale setup really matters. You need to generate a good foam first, before doing intersections. The current setup should be improved somehow.

bubbles2.hipnc

How is the material/shader made??? 

• 10 months later...
On 2016/3/31 at 7:41 AM, f1480187 said:

There was an error in pop_too_close wrangle. It deleted both intersecting bubbles, not just the smaller one, drastically reducing bubblecount. Normally it should remove only degenerate bubbles almost enclosed by neighbours. It also seems that whole loop can be replaced with a point wrangle. So, it cooks instantly now, retains topology and scales better.

post-13104-0-08206500-1459394477_thumb.p

Scattering and pscale setup really matters. You need to generate a good foam first, before doing intersections. The current setup should be improved somehow.

bubbles2.hipnc

Can you share the shader files or give some tutors for other guys,thx.

• 2 weeks later...