H16 at Siggraph?

animatrix

On 7/27/2016 at 6:23 AM, pusat said:

Any news about H16 at Siggraph?

I think I've heard that it's asymptotic development practice now, so they will never quite reach version 16, only v15.9999999999999999 :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Super!  This means FEM have to be much improved too :) maybe even GPU'd!, and surface tension, booleans et al... yay. That is some mad-az node iconography - cool to see the olde style madness back, wished the old logic & cookie icons could return. They certainly contextualise the operation but those rounded corners could be hardened though IMO. Shops looks a little blender/maya like, could have more Houdini characteristics.   

Edited by tar

I'm not super hot on the node design but it is new and i get what they are trying to do, i doubt it is set in stone. 

But everything else is very exciting. Especially the radial menu. It might not seem big but i think it will be huge how people interact with H. Especially in animation.  

1 hour ago, sekow said:

not feeling the new icons. drag line and plug would be nice. other than that I dont know why the node system has to be improved visually... 

I can see it be helpful with larger hierarchies like character rigs. The node shape supersedes the icon at a certain zoom level.

• Like 1

I really hope those icons was only joke experiment what is possible with new system.

I was like...:blink::lol::D:blink: when I saw them.

Sincerely I would be a really ashamed having director next to me and having to work with application with those icons :ph34r:

But overall really nice stuff guys! I'm looking forward to Christmas time.

Maya is trying to be like Houdini, now it's the other way around with the shading vops. And I literally laughed when I saw the new node icons, I guess the idea itself is nice but that implementation looks really childish. Please please please make it so you can turn it off and keep the old (current) style that we're used to. At least an option to have everything as rectangles. Having tons of nodes in your scene, each with a different style of node is gonna be extremely more messy than it already is.

But, I think it's great the network view is getting some love, it definitely needs it.

I might have missed something/misunderstood, just skimmed through it at work without sound.

And finally better booleans! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fencer said:

really? you waste your time on icons? where new microsolvers? where mantra improvements? where Carl?

All those tech improvements are from ~5min to ~12min in the video including a accurate surface tension microsolver, FEM muscles, Mantra adaptive sampling and more. For animation it looks a bit Pixar Presto if I'm understanding it correctly.

In regards to deriding the nodes; it's worth noting that Von Neumann also said that programming in anything but machine language was a waste of time...  so how's that working out for you ;) If the Network View can be abstracted to work better at a higher level than more power to it.

Love the new VOPs nodes with thumbnails. That was long overdue. Could have a bit flatter look for my taste but whatever ...

I am however VERY sceptical about the look of the other networks.
Way too playful. The idea of having customizable node shapes is great, but keep the defaults simple and unobtrusive.
Use simple shapes to distinguish the different node types (rectangle, rounded rectangle, chamfered edges, oval etc.).
Keep the node flags in the same place for the nodes. If that's not possible with different node shapes use a different approach like Katana which has two squares (always left and right of the node name).

The node inputs and outputs also look very small which makes it harder to quickly connect nodes.

I also hope that there are new methods to connect nodes. I am thinking about a click-output + drag + release-on-input mechanism (painting the connection) instead or in addition to the old click-output + click-input.

Regarding the adaptive sampling:
Will this be a pixel-variance based adaptive sampling which is generating more AA samples when needed (like VRAYs adaptive sampling)? I really hope the answer is yes :) 

Edited by dennis.albus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, michael said:

wrt the node shapes...sometimes you have 1500 nodes in an HDA and it would be nice to identify node types at a glance - instead of having to zoom way in to find the node you're looking for.

I agree that this is important. However for this purpose we use a node coloring scheme (all nodes are colored automatically upon creation). From far away this is even easier to read and distinguish than different node shapes.

• Like 2