Toms "Learning Houdini" Gallery

Thomas Helzle

"Distant Thunder"

Yesterday I wrote my first Python-node ever. With the help of this page: 

https://github.com/mgeier/python-audio/blob/master/audio-files/audio-files-with-wave.ipynb

I managed to load a 24 bit stereo wav file (of distant thunder, which I recorded this summer at our cottage in the woods) and create geometry from it.

Makes for a great desktop background, so I uploaded it as 24 bit png... :-)

DistantThunder.thumb.png.c39a2d868858cc21b9862af56e90731e.png

Created in Houdini Core 16.5, rendered in Redshift and post treatment in Luminar 2018.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Have to catch up with some more images I did in the meantime :-)

TwistedPleatsCloth.thumb.jpg.0529a786c5e98a958cabe2690a245527.jpg

Above image is a test what would happen if I applied Vellum to the Twisted Pleat image on the previous page...
Not totally up there but quite interesting nevertheless... :-)

I then further played with this idea:

TwistedPleat_v003.thumb.jpg.6679670892a9eca72915329b09ee83fd.jpg

I emphasised the outlines by rendering a copy as strands (all Redshift as usual).

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Then I played a bit with simple Sinus waves - sometimes it's so much fun to relax with something basic...

Sinus3D_2.thumb.jpg.f76188cf2543360c66e04084daa4ccee.jpg

Redshift & Post in Luminar 2018 (too bad Luminar 3 is totally broken at this point).

And another one, where I also played with the new image FX in Redshift... :-)

Sinus_v003.thumb.jpg.d826891960300c935fef1b10ec7b5f50.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

This one was a test I did based on the idea of replacing the surface of an object with finely distributed particles. I especially love the subtle patterns that creates. Best viewed in full resolution...

FractalCloud.thumb.jpg.2cca73365cecc82a0d2ef2d30ef9558e.jpg

And finally for now I played with Vellum some more and tried it on a human figure. Afterwards I realised the bend stiffness was still to high, so the folds are too large for the kind of cloth I went for, but it's still interesting... "In Velum Veritas" :-)

InVellumVeritas.thumb.jpg.adebc7cc900caabc0f5181593a8e7d18.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today we tried the AliceVision Integration in Houdini for the first time. I never did any photogrammetry before and I have to say this is amazing.

BoyGoat.thumb.jpg.22098cc0a129ad64fef7ac2f7fb81dbe.jpg

Lots to learn, lots to improve, but with 74 images spontaneously shot by my partner (www.sukomotion.de) with her smartphone of a statue in our local park we already have an encouraging first result.
We didn't have a ladder so we couldn't get close to the head of the boy and the goat/ram and the sun was shining so the light/shadow was a bit extreme, but even so the result is astonishing.
I look forward to do many more such "scans" with better coverage and lighting and my trusty Fuji X-T3.

Thanks a ton to SideFX and the Game Tool devs and of course especially to the people behind AliceVision!

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/alicevision-plugin/

https://alicevision.github.io

Rendered with Redshift.

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I finally uploaded an excerpt of the Reaction-Diffusion kernel from "Ready" I ported to Houdini OpenCL a while ago:

750,000 points and it runs almost in realtime on a GTX 1080 TI. This is an OpenGL render that shows exactly how it looks in the viewport - the mesh is so dense that it vanishes... :-)

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And something completely different.

I currently test a LG 75" TV as a monitor (75UK6500PLA). On the photo it looks much smaller as it feels in reality ~1.7m wide and 1m high, about 1.5m away from me. My table is 2m wide and 1m deep, the top is 1.1m from the floor.

MyWorkspace.thumb.jpg.d1c765a1e9af4d12098eef6074499b61.jpg

It is unbelievable how for instance the ART animation a couple of posts above looks in 4k at this size. A totally different impression from my old 30" Dell monitor. Instant gallery-feel :-)

What's also cool is the fact, that suddenly the table has much more space on top and because of the distance to the monitor, it feels much less crowded.

Image quality feels very good so far, the pixels of course are relatively large at this scale, but I totally love working in Houdini this way. Many other applications can be kept smaller and distributed over the screen - I didn't scale windows itself.
Screen brightness is quite even, with a slight darkening towards the edges, but nothing that would worry me. Of course, because of the size and being relative close, one has to move the head and so also looks at the screen surface at different angles, but again, none of that feels problematic so far.
At first I was quite worried since the mouse/wacom was lagging a lot, but then found that the "game mode" takes care of that. I'm also disabling all image "enhancement stuff", dynamic brightness etc. of course.

It's connected via HDMI to my GeForce GTX 1080 TI.

I haven't tried it as a TV so can't comment on that (stopped watching TV almost 20 years ago ;-) ).

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 2

Dove some more into those organic structures:

CircularPath_Organic.thumb.jpg.2d8ed5f535df42b19cf495ce41359b15.jpg

The above one is based on a shortest-path structure I posted here some pages back - amazing what this treatment brings out! :-)

The below started out as a disc with a hole, got shortest-pathed and tweaked:

Organics5.thumb.jpg.6ad3479b6cebb22fa06cdfff53b20ba2.jpg

Bot rendered in Redshift.

Cheers,

Tom

"Where is She?"

Lurking down there, somewhere, maybe?
In the unrendered depths of virtual nothingness.
Hiding until some unguarded Bit or Byte comes along,
Never to see the light of day again...

OrganicSpider.thumb.jpg.d333d7664ff02fce5dd63405e69ee243.jpg

This one and the one above are both based on the same ideas but instead of flat fill space...

Rendered in Redshift, post in Alienskin ExposureX4.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1