Where Do I Place An HDA File?

Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to open a HIP file that has an associated HDA. When I open it I get an missing asset definition. I have placed the associated HDA in the otls folder (C:\Users\Admin\Documents\houdini15.5\asset_store\otls) but Houdini still can not find it.

Try the "Manage/Refresh Asset Libraries" controls in the Assets menu to ensure Houdini can see it

edit: I agree with Eetu that the otls directory should be a safe location to place those files as well since Houdini should load anything in there by default

Edited by ryew

C:\Users\Admin\Documents\houdini15.5\otls

would allow it to load automatically, it will not load automatically from the  asset_store/otls/ anything downloaded from Orbolt, needs to be installed via their browser.

Additionally you can load an hda/otl from anywhere just using the Assets > Install Asset Library and then browsing via the Digital Asset Library. This will resolve missing assets. If the hierarchy is not found open the Windows > Operator Type Manager under the Operators tab, you can + Operator Type Libraries and navigate around to unembed your assets. To see which asset is being loaded if you installed the missing one and it didn't self resolve. Go to Configuration tab of the Operator type Properties, go to Operator Type Bar: and set it to Display Menu of All Definitions, and then above your parameters pane you can see where each library is being pulled from.

• 4 years later...

I know it is an old topic. But since I am digging internet to make AWS Thinkbox Deadline work for network HDA, here is path set which good to go for current Houdini version, it good for me.

HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = $HOUDINI_PATH;@/otls;

this is where I learn from: https://vfxbrain.wordpress.com/2019/11/20/hudini-env-file-on-windows/