[REDSHFT] Materials

Hi, 

I am looking for redshift shaders/materials to buy.

I am also intrested in importing/converting fbx materaials to Redshift.

Anyone have any suggestions? It seems to me that a nice set of materails would make Redshift or houdini a lot more powerful...

FBX materials in general are pretty lame to begin with. So there is no reason to convert them. Most FBX objects typically have image maps associated with them so all you need to do is plug a rsTexture into the diffuse color of the rsMaterial to re-establish the basic look.

I manage my FBX material mapping in Houdini using wrangles to re-write the shop_materialpath, like so...

if (find(s@shop_materialpath,"some_FBX_material_name")>0) {
    s@shop_materialpath = "/shop/rs_new_material_name";
}

Redshift materials are so easy to setup I can't imagine what is really holding you back from making your own. If you are new to node based materials systems in general, just watch a few videos to get up to speed (Rohan Dalvi, Varomix). Redshift materials are fairly simple so there is not really a lot to learn.

• 2 years later...

Hi Atom,

I'm new to Houdini, I'm interested in your little vex code there as it seems quite simple.  I've tried to use it but I don't really know how as it's not working for me.  

This is my first time dealing with 1 object that has many materials on it so I'm looking for the most efficient way to do this.  I'm a long time 3ds Max user so I'm used to multi sub object materials that are very easy and intuative.

Is there something similar in Houdini and Redshift?  Or would each material need to be split out on their own as a separate material?

I'm wondering if you can see anything wrong with what I've done here?  It's not working, the material is not getting assigned.  The tree consists of around 10 shop_materialpath attrubutes or materials

Thanks!

Material to assign.JPG

shop_materialpath.JPG

Vex_Code.JPG

Well, if you have created your Redshift material inside the /mat context, which is the new context for materials, you'll have to update the code to point to that context.

Try this...

if (find(s@shop_materialpath,"some_FBX_material_name")>0) {
    s@shop_materialpath = "/mat/rs_new_material_name";
}

For splitting materials across an object in Houdini, the best way I've found is to create groups (Group Create node), and assign the primitives (polys) to each group.  Then in a Material node, assign a material to each of your groups.

In the image below, I just add a Color node to make it easier to see all of the material groups I created.  This can also be used as a base for materialIDs in Substance, just make sure you're applying the colors in vertex not point mode.

motorcycle_id.png

• Like 1