Houdini Ocean Toolkit

Jason

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jason, I got a bit sidetracked with another project but I've done a bit more cleanup and if you'd like I'll give you the source and see if you can get it built. I'd be a bit embarrassed to release it generally with the build being so convoluted. I've managed to get hold of a statically linked win32 version of fftw, which will make it a bit easier for the non technical users to install. I'll contact you off line.

-Drew

Hi Drew,

Just wondering if there was going to be any more developement of the HOT tools you posted on the Wiki? In particular, the source code so I could compile it to play with it here :)

Houdini Ocean Toolkit Wiki Page

Take care,

Jason

20615[/snapback]

• 10 months later...

It's very possible. I have compiled it for one of the older 8.1 betas and it appeared to work fine, but since the beta versions are changing daily I'd like to wait for an official release before I provide new binaries. I note you can't even download 8.1.625 as they're now up to 8.1.648. For the time being you'll have to stick with H8.0 or compile from source.

-Drew

Hello,

is it possible that the HOT doesn't work with H8.1.625 ?

(Houdini crashes...)

thanks,

bern

28938[/snapback]

Hi Gaucho,

I just verified the SOP works ok on a dual opteron machine under win32 H8.0.474, so I'm not sure what's going on. Can you give me a bit more info on how it crashes, which architecture/os, version of houdini etc ?

-Drew

I cannot make it work on AMD. On Intel works fine.

It is possible to compile for AMD ?

28953[/snapback]

Did you try H8.0.474 which is the latest "production" release ? It's impractical to keep up with the dailys, but I'm endeavouring to support the production builds.

-Drew

AMD Atlhon XP 2500+ 1,83GHz, 1GB ram

VideoCard: NVIDIA Gforce4 Ti 4200

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Houdini Apprentice 8.0.564 ( I had tested on many versions of Houdini and wasn't working)

28977[/snapback]

• 2 months later...

Hi,

i hope its ok to post my question in this thread,

i try to compile toe ocean toolkit in windows but i got lots of weird nmake errors and such as seperator missing on this simple line

ifeq ($(OS), Windows_NT)

have anyone tryed to compile it in windows, and could please post the makefile.

An other problem is the thing that houdini is installed in folders with whitespaces and i guess nmake does not like this :-\

could anybody could give me a hint

thx

Infernalspawn

I had tested on many versions of Houdini and wasn't working

Same for me. I have tested it on single or dual machines, on Win/Gentoo/SuSE with different versions/builds of Houdini and different builds of HOT. Always with no luck. But never tried to compile it.

I could not make it run at home on my AMD, works well on others pentium processors I tested.

I will try to compile it.

• 7 months later...

I got everything to work under 8.2.13 on an Intel machine using RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.

I'm not sure how to package it up to post it in the Community Builds section of the wiki, but I'm willing to do it, if it helps anyone.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I would appreciate that, whatever the packaging is like.

Dirk

I got everything to work under 8.2.13 on an Intel machine using RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.

I'm not sure how to package it up to post it in the Community Builds section of the wiki, but I'm willing to do it, if it helps anyone.

Dave

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been absent for a while. I just built 8.2.13 versions of the toolkit. As luck would have it, odwiki looks to be down for maintenance at the moment. So in the interim you can grab the win and linux packages directly from -

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/oc...3_0.8_win32.zip

and

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/oc....8_rhel4.tar.gz

The unix build was done remotely and hasn't been visually checked, so ping me if there are problems.

Bernard, in answer to your question, unfortunately it isn't technically possible to build a version that works across all houdini releases. It's a problem all hdk developers face. If you are a linux user I would encourage you to give building the toolkit a go using the instructions on the odwiki page, it's very straight forward. For windows getting a nice development environment setup to do hdk development is fairly tedious.

-Drew

I would appreciate that, whatever the packaging is like.

Dirk

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been absent for a while. I just built 8.2.13 versions of the toolkit. As luck would have it, odwiki looks to be down for maintenance at the moment. So in the interim you can grab the win and linux packages directly from -

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/oc...3_0.8_win32.zip

and

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/oc....8_rhel4.tar.gz

The unix build was done remotely and hasn't been visually checked, so ping me if there are problems.

Bernard, in answer to your question, unfortunately it isn't technically possible to build a version that works across all houdini releases. It's a problem all hdk developers face. If you are a linux user I would encourage you to give building the toolkit a go using the instructions on the odwiki page, it's very straight forward. For windows getting a nice development environment setup to do hdk development is fairly tedious.

-Drew

Thanks Drew,

using HOT 8.2.13 for windows...

There is no Ocean SOP in the OTL, only VOP HOT eval and SHOP Displacement shader

Where is the Ocean SOP, and how can I test the example file ?

(loading example file I get errors)

many thanks,

bern

Hi Bernard,

It will all be much clearer when you can read the documentation when odwiki comes back to life.

In the interim, to get the simple SOP example running you should copy SOP_Ocean.dll into the $HOME/houdini8.2/dso directory (you may need to make the "dso" dir if it doesn't already exist), then restart houdini. Same goes for the other dll's, for the VEX stuff (required by the otl), you'll need to read the odwiki docs.

-Drew

Thanks Drew,

using HOT 8.2.13 for windows...

There is no Ocean SOP in the OTL, only VOP HOT eval and SHOP Displacement shader

Where is the Ocean SOP, and how can I test the example file ?

(loading example file I get errors)

many thanks,

bern

Hi Bernard,

It will all be much clearer when you can read the documentation when odwiki comes back to life.

In the interim, to get the simple SOP example running you should copy SOP_Ocean.dll into the $HOME/houdini8.2/dso directory (you may need to make the "dso" dir if it doesn't already exist), then restart houdini. Same goes for the other dll's, for the VEX stuff (required by the otl), you'll need to read the odwiki docs.

-Drew

Thanks eloop,

Doing this I can get an Ocean SOP (without icon...) in SOPs.

When I connect a Grid SOP to the Ocean SOP input, Houdini 8.2.13 crashes (fatal error, illegal instruction)

Not sure what's going on there Bernard. I'll check the build works ok when I'm back at my work machine this week. Can you tell me what cpu you have ? There has been reports of problems with AMD's.

-Drew

Thanks eloop,

Doing this I can get an Ocean SOP (without icon...) in SOPs.

When I connect a Grid SOP to the Ocean SOP input, Houdini 8.2.13 crashes (fatal error, illegal instruction)