Multiple Vellum Solvers?

art3mis

Have gone thru the Vellum Masterclass, the THUG presentation and all of Entagma's introductory vellum tutorials.

Still a few questions.

If you have multiple separate clothing items on a single character, is it considered 'best practice' to have multiple vellum solvers, one for each piece of clothing, or is it necessary to merge ALL clothing items before using a single solver?

Also, I've read the documentation in regards to Stitch Points and Weld Points constraints. http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/vellumconstraints.html

They both seem to be somewhat interchangeable.

Can anyone provide an example of when you would use one over another?

Edited by art3mis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still new to this as well. I've been messing around with vellum a lot lately. Not exactly sure if I have an answer but just my own thoughts on this same topic.

I think it makes sense to merge your vellum objects as long as their behavior is the same. For example, a denim jacket, and denim pants. If the shirt is made of polyester, wouldn't make sense to me to sim them together. 

As far as multiple solvers go, I haven't the slightest on how to do that at the sop level, but in dops it's as easy as a multisolver correct? I don't think it's the biggest hit on performance. 

Feel free to correct me, I'm still a noob.

• 1 year later...

Hello art3mis,

i don’t know if you have a need anymore in this. 
Try to setup for each of your „vellum source“, here I am speaking of your vellum items you want to simulate, a vellum cloth object. Connect your Null Objects to make your OUT_geo and OUT_Con available for each of your vellum constraint Setup. Wire all the geo in one Merge and all the cons in another merge. Then wire that into a single vellum solver.

I was looking for help in the forum. I saw your topic, and I have a solution instead of help. I have so many questions left in vellum^^

If you want them to mutually interact then one solver and either multiple vellum sources or just one source with all the setup and various materials done in sops

Stitch constraint creates actual constraints

Welding on the other hand will simulate only one point from welded pair and the other just uses the same P, so it's guaranteed to match. However it's limited only to point-point welding while you can stitch to prims, etc.

As others have pointed out, the way that vellum works is to have varying attributes that define a material property. The vellum constraint nodes set these properties up for a given constraint type, though they can be established using a wrangle or any other means.

To get different material properties you'll want to set up the corresponding constraint attribution. This doc helped me personally to grasp what vellum is doing:

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vellum/vellumattributes.html