Glassmat

Alexander Weide

ok i need help, i wanna create a dielectric material, with mantra. i wanna get

a good alpha channel too.

i need help, my shader is ready and only the transparency is not complete.

i wanna get a fresnel transparency with spec'lights on the other side of the material.....

i hope you understand what i want

short:

a realistic glassmaterial, with fresnel reflexions and realistic alpha channels.

and i i think on maya..............i have to say, why is that so damm hard to recreate in houdini??????

the glassmaterial of houdini is unreal shit!

a realistic glassmaterial, with fresnel reflexions and realistic alpha channels.

If you look in the Bottles Lighting Challenge post, you'll find a hipfile with a functional glass shader. It's Mario's VOP network from the CornellBox thread. It's not wrapped up as a single node or as a SHOP, but you can get a lot from it. It doesn't support "absorbtion", however.

the glassmaterial of houdini is unreal shit!

[thinks] I'm sure there is a better way to phrase this.

Cheers,

Jason

PS. A realistic alpha channel for glass is solid (1). There is no straight "passthrough" transparency because all the light passing though a refractive medium is remapped along another angle.

ok i need help, i wanna create a dielectric material, with mantra.

28247[/snapback]

I'd suggest starting with mental ray's dielectric shader, since the source is available freely. It should be very easy to port to Mantra (porting to PRMan went quite quickly) and can easily be extended to support glossy reflections/refractions (just be sure to only use glossy multi-sampling on the first bounce/transmission, otherwise you'll just get an insane explosion in the number of rays used).

Cheers!

sorry but are you crazy`??????

that classmaterial of Bottles Lighting Challenge post is unrealistic shit

28320[/snapback]

huh? :blink:

In an attempt to emulate your clear, concise writing style:

"sorry but did you read what he wrote `??????"

AFAICT, rjpieke didn't mention any posts anywhere...

To get a clue, you may want to scan his post for the following words:

"mental ray", "shader", "source

", "available freely", "port"...etc.

But be warned that this may induce some unexpected firing of long unused neurons.

And you get a prize if you find the words "Bottles Lighting Challenge" or "post".

[edit]

Oh, I see. You were referring to Jason's post.

There is this wonderful mechanism available in the forum called a "quote". If you look at everyone else's posts in this thread you'll notice it being used. It allows the reader to know exactly what the heck you're talking about. I highly recommend using it.

Regarding your glassy dilemma, I have the perfect solution:

Write your own and post it in the new "Shaders" forum. This way we can all benefit from being exposed to a shader that is not "shit".

... apologies to everyone else. It's been a long 2 weeks... and counting...

Yep, it's a pretty awesome shader alright - easily my best work.

28389[/snapback]

the hotdog has no tranculency in hears area!!! shame on you! It looks so artifical! almost like Mc`Donalds... you know, you should try harder....