smoke has a hairy look

anicg

Any idea what could be behind the hairy look of the smoke?

When the smoke has just been emitted it looks detailed but overtime it turns into .. a hairy look. I've placed a light behind it so I can see the edges clearly. It has several gasdisturb nodes, no dissipation and no evaporation (both set to 0).

Actually even in the beginning (image 2) there is that hairy look around the edges, so I do not even know if it has to do with age.

hair  in smoke.JPG

image 2.JPG

Edited by anicg

Those disturbance values seem too high for smoke of your scale. I'd personally try to dial them down to the 1-2 strength range. And maybe set the Gas Disturb nodes to disturb your velocity field instead in the Bindings tab, because I feel like this tends to produce more interesting results as the simulation goes on.

I've reduced all three gasdisturbs to strength of 1, and the bindings have vel by default as disturb field, but the results still look hairy, like cotton.

Here are 4 renders from 4 different angles (front, back, right, left).

As I mentioned I have dissipation and evaporation at 0.

Do you have any idea why this still looks like cotton / has hairy look

111cam4.jpg

111cam2.jpg

111cam3.jpg

111cam4.jpg

gasdisturb1.JPG

gasdisturb2.JPG

gasdisturb3.JPG

bingdings.JPG

I think the main problem is that you are adding disturbance everywhere all the time. A popular method is to use the speed of the velocity field as a control field for example, so you scale the disturbance amount with how fast the smoke is moving.

I would truly appreciate if you could tell me how I can do that. I do see that velocity is already the disturb field in bindings, do I need to so something else to add disturbance only where the smoke is moving faster?

3 hours ago, anicg said:

I would truly appreciate if you could tell me how I can do that. I do see that velocity is already the disturb field in bindings, do I need to so something else to add disturbance only where the smoke is moving faster?

Share a hip file.

Check help about Control Field. Right now your Disturb and Turbulence doesn't have influence limit, they apply forces everywhere where density is. Use Control field to limited this, for example by temperature or density.
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/dop/gasdisturb.html

Create an explosion or billowy smoke from the shelf and examine what inside.

Edited by fencer

Good, right step, you are close.

Use Visualization in gasdisturb to see where forces are still present. Play only with gasdisturb1 first, disable the rest, adjust one than add one more, adjust and so on.

Play with control range, you are adding high values of gasdisturb but trying to limitate only from range 0-1, try 0-5, 0.1-2 or so...

Plus now limit only by velocity, try to add density as well.

more_limits.jpg

Done simulation 18 times, the problem is still there: the smoke is hairy. I've used the control field with speed, tweaked gasdisturb settings, at different block sizes, different strength, tweaked temperature diffusion, the smoke is still hairy. I've watched countless courses / tutorials, I've even replicated their exact settings, the smoke is still hairy. If I bring down the strength of the gasdisturb the smoke is too smooth in the first 100 frames.

There is something else, I hope someone knows what's going on.

After 18 times, this is what the smoke looks like:

sim18_cam2.jpg

sim18_cam1.jpg

I've keyframed it yesterday several times, the problem is that the newly emitted smoke needs different settings than the older one that's been around for a while, and this is even in later frames because there is still new smoke being emitted, any change to satisfy the old one upsets the new, any that satisfies the new upsets the old.

Edited by anicg

Again, check shelf tool "billowy smoke".
You are using very low gas dissipate, smoke almost stay forever, at the same time there are no forces to move this smoke except gasdisturb and turbulence which tearing it apart.
Main motion of smoke is Buoyancy (which based on temperature) or wind, in your case temperature disappears very fast, Buoyancy stop working, smoke not rising anymore but gasdisturb keep working.
Find a good reference and examine real behaviour.

How are you rendering the smoke volume? Is your shader doing any displacement or uprezzing of any kind? I could be mistaken but your renders seem to show a level of detail higher than what you would expect to get from the voxel res in your sim....

• Like 1