How can I take my Jellyfish film to the next level [REDSHIFT]

DHartleRyan

You may add a seabed to add depth to your ocean and make it believable, and also work the lighting (you can add godrays, fog) and rework the shading of your water surface. Look at some reference ! 

Home - Underwater Sculpture by Jason deCaires Taylor

Here we see clearly how gradually the "fog" blurs and hide the seabed and the ocean surface gradually. The motion looks good to me, but adding an environment (quixel is your friend ;) ) may hugely imrove your render !

Cheers,

9 minutes ago, Librarian said:

https://lesterbanks.com/2017/03/using-chops-rigging-houdini/

Or post just ONE Jellyfish (now I'm owner of indie Houdini 18 and have solid PC) I can surely Help or I just want your file .you never know!!!:wub:

Nice i will check that out after work. I'll try set up a file for you to check out, at the moment it has a lot of cached stages.

Its not rigged in a conventional sense, just one line animated, altered in chops depending on the particles speed, copied round and delayed based on a noise attribute, then skinned and extruded. 

4 minutes ago, DonRomano said:

You may add a seabed to add depth to your ocean and make it believable, and also work the lighting (you can add godrays, fog) and rework the shading of your water surface. Look at some reference ! 

Home - Underwater Sculpture by Jason deCaires Taylor

Here we see clearly how gradually the "fog" blurs and hide the seabed and the ocean surface gradually. The motion looks good to me, but adding an environment (quixel is your friend ;) ) may hugely imrove your render !

Cheers,

I was having some trouble with the redshift environment volume and god rays when i added a floor but i think it really would benefit from an ocean floor environment like you say. The gradual blur across the sea is a really good point as well. 

Thank you

Few tips for volumetric lighting with redshift :

- Apply a material to the tint shader of the fog (../redhift_rop/redshift/volumetric scattering) and plug your nodes to the volume output of your shader, this allows you to add noise to the fog and/or any other operation you want (like for example get the camera position and create a gradient from the camera position to remap the fog density based on the distance from the camera to get the desired effect) 

- Use gobo shaders in your spotlights to get better god rays. It's pretty easy to create some gobo maps in photoshop with textures and filters

- Create your own volume effects in sops with volume vops, it can be very cool to have some slightly moving volume just on top of the seabed to simulate water flowing and moving sand grains

During the week-end if I have time I may help you, do not hesitate to reach me out ;)

Cheers,