Organic shape

caskal

12 minutes ago, caskal said:

Hey dude! sure thing, drop me your mail and I'll send you the hip! @Librarian always loved your stuff bro! @vinyvince great trick on those lines, love the result!

@caskal, thanks this more or lest a wip , not intended to be shown in fact hehaha// Here few few I did procedural from houdini starting prim excepted the man...

Where are you with your bot maker series man? When I seen the episode 2, i smile, I had the same vibe for the scott roberson video :)

What are you up at the moment, Are you still using this method? Did you finally post the file?

There was some interesting idea as well the the first method, using pop

Here, little by little i find my own way in houdini, here few example on the subject of procedural modelling, something i quite enjoy even if only on few occasion i have to do it in my job. People don't really believe in it , YET :) formz_april2021A.mp4formz_april2021A.mp4formz_april2021A.mp4formz_april2021A.mp4

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

proceduralplayer_wip.PNG

proceduraldevice.gif

houdiniproceduralflower8.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower7.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower5.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower3.PNG

meshsharpen_v5c.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower.PNG

meshsharpen_v5.PNG

proceduralpig_head_armor_houdini.PNG

houdini_procedural.png

• Like 4

Whoaaaaa @vinyvince those look AMAZING! reminds me of master Akira Saito stuff, love it!

@crispr_boi @vinyvince here are 2 setups I made on the robots:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12yuO8erudQjuRiMnjUVN4hGl8aBrDKOy/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YhByn2_jndpXJ3fNd9pgVo7Zkb_MSCtU/view?usp=sharing (this is older than above)

Regarding the status, haven't play with it for a while, been burnt out with client stuff :( 

This is the latest stuff I did (quite old xD):

Keep pushing that bot setup, love it!

Cheers

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, caskal said:

Whoaaaaa @vinyvince those look AMAZING! reminds me of master Akira Saito stuff, love it!

@crispr_boi @vinyvince here are 2 setups I made on the robots:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12yuO8erudQjuRiMnjUVN4hGl8aBrDKOy/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YhByn2_jndpXJ3fNd9pgVo7Zkb_MSCtU/view?usp=sharing (this is older than above)

Regarding the status, haven't play with it for a while, been burnt out with client stuff :( 

This is the latest stuff I did (quite old xD):

Keep pushing that bot setup, love it!

Cheers

I love it all. It's great to see everyone give a try and go for its personal take, which result in very different style but all looks interesting to me, super!

Is it not hard to drive and gain control with your method? like for Intersection?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 4:38 AM, crispr_boi said:

@caskal thank you very much!

love your stuff.

sorry to hear you feel burnt out..

hope you get through it, or have the chance to catch a break soon.

the first link I don't have access to, I sent a request to access it..

Hey dude, gave you access, let me know if that worked.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:16 AM, vinyvince said:

For having seen him, I could affirm that @caskal is litteraly a solid man, solid as a rock, those who knows him will understand what i mean   ;)

ahaha you made me laugh buddy! your latest stuff is looking great! keep going!!

Lol :)

To be honest few years i could ever think of doing half of it, now I consider myself like a first grade studio at the houdini school

But yeah, little by little, my process and custom tools are getting better for procedural design.. Not that im only interest in hard surface design of course, but anyway it's a long term research

Usually it's the first thing people do with spaceship or reobot, but I think it's the first beast i did for personal work in 23 years haha

I have a little bit of time now, that I said no for now i do not want or need to work guys, leave me in peace for few days please :)

houdini_procedural_beast_test_vince-v2.thumb.gif.126d20bc27f991ebfaced245c3de6b2d.gif

Why the hell should i need a high mesh density to have nice cut there like picture 2 result, and if I use something like picture one, the polycut can't extract sharp accurate cut?

The curve use are being process in 2d then wrap using uvsample()

Then xyzdist(1,@P) which use the barycentric precise coord isn'it?

I try to use another definition of the function

@konstantin magnus

image.thumb.png.970c2526921b788263bf25fd7d86d1c9.png

image.thumb.png.c2bfbeca48aab67c0ee1034dc5419238.png

image.png.2ceef2693e0c10a9ed06c7ff48905f63.png

Edited by vinyvince

Hello Konstantin. Thanks you for your message, It's an interesting trick to deal with inside and outside, thanks you.

When i see your post, i went to sunshine peak, to ... desesperation :blush:

Still not work  im afraid @konstantin magnus...  So mystery mystery .... what could be the problem??

I mean I use to procedural design cut piece before without this issue like you could see in my below example , but never via uv sample as you could see in my file.

houdini_procedural_beast_test_vince-v2.gif

getprimitivesphere_vince.gif

proceduraldevice.gif

1 hour ago, konstantin magnus said:

Yes, I have seen some issues in your file regarding uv borders. Maybe this helps:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/60740/?page=1#post-272057

Oh the uv border, yeah, im deforming the uv and on the seam edge where i split the face in two symmetrical side, there are some obvious issues. Not sure how i will resolved that but at least these was kind of expected :)

For me who started to learn houdini by myself alone, all your posts are and have been a tremendous help you Superstar :D  @konstantin magnus

Edited by vinyvince
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:28 PM, vinyvince said:

@caskal, thanks this more or lest a wip , not intended to be shown in fact hehaha// Here few few I did procedural from houdini starting prim excepted the man...

Where are you with your bot maker series man? When I seen the episode 2, i smile, I had the same vibe for the scott roberson video :)

What are you up at the moment, Are you still using this method? Did you finally post the file?

There was some interesting idea as well the the first method, using pop

Here, little by little i find my own way in houdini, here few example on the subject of procedural modelling, something i quite enjoy even if only on few occasion i have to do it in my job. People don't really believe in it , YET :) formz_april2021A.mp4formz_april2021A.mp4formz_april2021A.mp4formz_april2021A.mp4

proceduraldevice.gif

meshsharpen_v5c.PNG

meshsharpen_v5.PNG

proceduralpig_head_armor_houdini.PNG

Wow @vinyvince all of these are absolutely incredible, I am in awe.  I am a complete newbie and hope I am not making a mistake by asking here, but do you have any tutorials on how to start taking organic shapes in Houdini into these cutout/mechanical shapes like these?   

Having fun with a Moebius stylized  head generator starting from the primitive houdini head, a circle and a star curve primitive interpolate in a Wrangle... Wasn't my intention at start lol actually :)

alienheadgenerator_complexvariante_9.PNG

simple_alien_head_generator3d.gif

alienheadgenerator_complexvariante_5.PNG

alienheadgenerator_complexvariante_0.PNG

alienheadgenerator_complexvariante_1.PNG

alienheadgenerator_complexvariante_2.PNG

alienheadgenerator_complexnew_4.PNG

alienheadgenerator_complexnew_2.PNG

simple_alien_head_generator3c.gif

alienheadgenerator_complex_05.PNG

alienheadgenerator_complexnew_0.PNG

simple_alien_head_generator2.gif

Edited by vinyvince
  • Like 1

@thui

One key of success is in procedural in to start simple.

There are plenty or tutorials and example around , after it will depend how much time you would like to spend on it to learn the fundamental without jumping steps and considering houdini like imported a setup and using it as a plugin preset like in any other software... Myself I had to be patient before i start to get some result which i was not fully ashame,  as houdini and the way to think was radically different from what my professional carrier path in my life. But im addicted now, and i refused all jobs which is more or less related... I still consider myself like a student, but at 45s, after 23years, i consider myself in everything like a young kid at the school .

Honestly you don't need to go to pay tutorial. I never paid any course and follow any school myself, i didn't have to, job cames without . There are already plenty of examples, after it will be easier for you to find your way when you have learned the base than trying to follow someone 's step... At least it's how it works for me, i don't pretend to hold the world truth...

The houdini community is one of the best, or just the best. That's also why i survived :)

Edited by vinyvince
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Wowwwwwww they are stuning! I am an amateur in houdini, is there any tutorial like this or could I have this amazing work and take a look on? It would be a great assistance for me. Thanks a lot in advance.

I just wanted to tell again they are realy amazing!

Edited by Tima