Organic shape

caskal

Hey magicians,

I'm trying to do this kind of shape, it was originally made with Gravity in VR so I assume it started as splines and then connected.

3krIJ3Xy3U.png.898dfc3816b110b5b3c0eb27ef8677b3.png

My first approaches were remesh > poly reduce to get some triangle silohuette and then extruding > vdb 

But I cant get the defined lines, here are some of my tests:

DfTt70iPdM.png.b7eac09030125398f88b10e909ac2d57.pngYsANquk38D.png.a7cdf2d4a49174336aff7b5d62d2f3b0.pngYrLK9U6E6H.png.f9a44f7e53cab52b5e6a15d9f30a1079.pngGceb3l9hlU.png.0505e1d618885e284a19242947488fe3.pngNaHhcZBQQh.png.2cdabd4e876325a65e5509754f75879a.png

Any tips will be super helpful

Thanks!

• Like 2

Not sure how you generate the starting geo, with the suggestion from @Aizatulin maybe you could think about another way, meatballs or try to use straight_skeleton 3d or distance to edge to use some center lines then use VEX to VOP to measure the distance, use this value to displace...

image.png.41cc3486225b71237725be247efc8e18.png

volumedistantpoint.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, vinyvince said:

Not sure how you generate the starting geo, with the suggestion from @Aizatulin maybe you could think about another way, meatballs or try to use straight_skeleton 3d or distance to edge to use some center lines then use VEX to VOP to measure the distance, use this value to displace...

image.png.41cc3486225b71237725be247efc8e18.png

volumedistantpoint.JPG

Hey Vicent! this looks super cool! I will give a shot (and ask for help if I struggle :D) thanks for the tips! love that geo!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@caskal hey love your work.. Just wondering, in a live stream you did a couple of months ago you said you would post an updated hip file of your bot maker..

Do you still intend to do so? I know you don't owe us anything. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask or say I'm still interested. =)

@konstantin magnus @caskal

Somethin i found annoying with the polycut is when you want it to use with edge not extract from the existing mesh via voroinoid, cluster or so. Like using curve on the UV space.

So far i only to use the same xyzdist(1, v@P) to define the cutting attribute, blur it, and when set to "cut" and "edge"

the cutted piece result and edge are not clean at all. I tried to filter with point neighour count to isolate the unwanted point and only get a clean outiline, but it's not working in all case, not really working

If when using Konstantin clever wrangle to deform the mesh using a mask between two polycut value, result seem clean, picture 2 but display the edge boundary and you will see the issue... Fuse doesn't solve all

Do you guys see what i mean?

image.thumb.png.88d44a951e3e225cd80dd066eb27d235.png

image.thumb.png.dc9ddeee70b0e0abe2579a76ac64ec15.png

image.thumb.png.add9f8dd7c11e3905696038e08c43b95.png

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Edited by vinyvince

Oh i don't know this file, i start from scratch and using few method I have experimented before.  You could see mùy details, and i wwill show if i made it work flow around but fit the face curve, not as random and open me more freedom that some method i used before.

Your picture, looks like a tribal mask, look as well pretty cool, you could apply some of our Chop magic here :D, what did you see that article @Librarian? could not find a link to it

Boolean method actually have clean edge if you handle it well, just naively thought polycut should also output something cleaner

Edited by vinyvince

5 hours ago, Librarian said:

I seen that or something "muchos interresantos" you have file there on indyZone jAPAN CAFE 1/9 OR 4/9  ..

Yes interesting... but Librarian, I guess you like playing cluedo :lol:,
have you another clue ?

By the way once translated interesting site (If I am on the right track).

Edited by flcc
  • Haha 1

I like in some moments to play Detectives meeting Magicians @flcc,only when I see that its necessary   ...Its web site houdinifx japan formerly indyzone ....You have links for cafe indyzone 9 or more links, also on twitter.. @vinyvince I use chops always(also in this  example), somehow you can't make mistake with so much control that chops provide in mine case ...for-each Node in Chops its magic if you make reasonable amount of points ...

Chops45.jpg

• Like 1

I quite love that, everyone think differently and choose a different approach, chops is out of my conform zone, feel a lit bit old counter intuitive to me, a little bit outwards , but I'm would be SUPER interested to progress on that.

We have a good teacher here, Monsieur Tesan, the master of Chops ! No teasing you here, i mean it :)

On 26/7/2021 at 11:37 PM, crispr_boi said:

@caskal hey love your work.. Just wondering, in a live stream you did a couple of months ago you said you would post an updated hip file of your bot maker..

Do you still intend to do so? I know you don't owe us anything. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask or say I'm still interested. =)

Hey dude! sure thing, drop me your mail and I'll send you the hip! @Librarian always loved your stuff bro! @vinyvince great trick on those lines, love the result!