Infection solver driven by pops sim source or pyrospread with pops sim as source

Sinsterz

I have been searching for a solution to this for ages, does anyone know the correct way to have a typical infection solver be sourced by a pops sim? an example for needing this would be if you were making a flamethrower sim but needed the fire to actual be able to spread to objects that the "fuel" or "flame" touched in the scene. I tried doing this with the pyrospread solver but it only sources the beginning pops and doesnt update the stream pops group. everything works fine as long as the source input doesnt change which is the problem. someone had said using sop solver and attribute transfer would be a way to fix this but i have no idea how to make it work ive been stuck for months. any help would be greatly appreciated. another example if it wasnt clear would be a dragon breathing fire on to a character, how would you source a fire that could spread once the fire from the dragon collides with the character thank you!

27 minutes ago, Sinsterz said:

I have been searching for a solution to this for ages, does anyone know the correct way to have a typical infection solver be sourced by a pops sim? an example for needing this would be if you were making a flamethrower sim but needed the fire to actual be able to spread to objects that the "fuel" or "flame" touched in the scene. I tried doing this with the pyrospread solver but it only sources the beginning pops and doesnt update the stream pops group. everything works fine as long as the source input doesnt change which is the problem. someone had said using sop solver and attribute transfer would be a way to fix this but i have no idea how to make it work ive been stuck for months. any help would be greatly appreciated. another example if it wasnt clear would be a dragon breathing fire on to a character, how would you source a fire that could spread once the fire from the dragon collides with the character thank you!

I was just trying this same exact thing today, I ended up having to build my own pyro-spread in vex. 

13 minutes ago, mestela said:

One answer is here:

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=The_solver_sop#Reading_attributes_that_aren.27t_from_first_frame_or_previous_frame

But really, its worth sending an RFE to sidefx, the pyro source spread sop should do this for you.

yes actually funny enough i was able to get the pyrospread solver to function with a pop sim only once and it was as setup exactly how you'd expect, I even have a shot rendered out of it but after i tried to redo the effect for another shot despite using the same setup i was never able to get it to work again which is so strange to me, so could it be a bug?

i don't know if it helps , i guess not cause my setup is very trivial, but for those kind of fx where you need fire propagation, i would art direct all the whole setup in SOP using points and just release the whole art directed point cloud into pyro solve.

more precisly i would convert all the scene that need to be burn to point cloud, then connect each point with an edge thanks to adjacent pieces nodes, then use the edge transport connected to a trigger group that would evolve dynamically. 

fire_test.gif.43734e20a2866da6e61d33e06b0df170.gif

fire_test.hipnc

Edited by sebkaine