Who misses PRISMS?

MG

Who misses PRISMS? Or at least... the looks of it? :)

Since I've made a PRISMS colorscheme and matching desktop for Houdini. I've also recreated a scene seen in one of the "legacy" screenshots in the od[force] image gallery.

So, if anyone wants the colorscheme, or wants to upload it on the od[force] site, e-mail/PM me. And I will e-mail/upload (host) it somewhere (with instructions etc.).

Oh and, Mayadini (if you're reading this), Houdini's UI is pretty damn customizable. But that's needless to say.

Here's a screenshot:

post-13-1043035970.jpg

I'd love to get the color scheme...I use a modified version of the one that a discreet demo guy made, that was later added to max, but Houdini doesn't seem to use the windows colors...

if you need a place to host it I'd be glad to help out, I can put it on my serer for others to d/l

$HFS\houdini\config\resources

you can change BG tint in the resources files, as well as changing a number of other GUI *thingys* with some of the other files... be sure to save a copy of the originals in case ya mess something up ;)

in case some dont know...open the file up in your favorite text editor to edit

It would be cool if it could be hosted in a special section at od[force] (where people can post their custom desktops, color schemes etc.)

Or I might keep it for my site. In the meantime, I will pass them via e-mail and AIM (etc.).

So, capinXcrunch, arctor and Alex you want me to pass it to you guys?

Guest MG@school
If anyone is interested in making their own vector-based icons, there is the utility gicon which you can use. Just enter without any command line arguments to see how to use it.

I know. But, it will take more time than, say, changing the userinterface colors :D

It would be nice if we could use something other then creating actual geometry and then converting those to icons!

Like a vector drawing program.

Icon smith looks horrible to use! And I would probably use it since there is nothing else that will make houdini icons (besides making actual geometry and then converting it) but it's only available on Irix.

If there is a windows or linux based drawing program I would be happy to give it a shot making some new icons :)

Oh, I've put up 5 houdini UI themes for download. Before Marco made his PRISMS theme, I had no idea that Houdini could be customized this way besides making desktops! (though they could always allow for even more customization).... SOOO.... I went a little crazy and made a few ;)

Again, thanks for the inspiration Marco :D

Anyhow, they are available over here

If anyone is interested :D

Cheers,

--Carlos

In 5.5 you can right click on an object, select properties and click on the icon to change it. You can use any image file that Houdini reads. I believe it will create an icon for you. Its not a vector based icon, but its better than nothing :)

l8r

Marc

oh and P.S. Iconsmith is one the most painful packages to use, its right up there with vi in my stay away from list :D

*marc runs and hides from angry 70's-era vi users club*

In 5.5 you can right click on an object, select properties and click on the icon to change it. You can use any image file that Houdini reads. I believe it will create an icon for you. Its not a vector based icon, but its better than nothing

Yes, I knew about this one and you're right, it is better then nothing :)

No one uses vi anymore. Vim is the one true way!

I like VIM :) Very very useful and once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite a really powerful editor.

Iconsmith is not hard to use, it is simply brain-dead. As for making icons via gicon, it's actually not that bad. Go into the top ortho view, and draw curves.

True, I didn't about this.... but it does bring me to another point however...

Spline curves.... more functionality in these would be really welcomed. For example:

-being able to fuse splines together (boolean/cookie)

-better point control : Bezier, Bezier Corner, Smooth, Corner

I've used Max for working with splines and I do miss that functionality in Houdini very much.

--Carlos