Quadro Fx560 Or 8800gt ?

Nico D.

I have an 8800GT at home and Houdini is pretty snappy with it. Seems comparable to my work card anyway (although I haven't done nearly the level of work here as I do there, so who knows :) ).

edit: Not that it means much in the real world, but here are the comparisons between the two :

Model	  Fab(nm)	mem	  mem interface	mem bandwidth		 tex fill			 openGL
 8800GT	  65		 512MB		256bit			  57.6GB/sec	   33.6(billion/sec)	   2.1
 FX560		90		 128MB		128bit			  19.2GB/sec	   2.8(billion/sec)		2.0

Seems to me that the 8800GT wins from a hardware point of view. Plus I'm not sure if the FX cards can be used in SLI mode, which will make a huge difference too.

M

I don't have either of those cards, but I'd take a newer generation high-end geforce over an older quadro. In the same generation, quadro of course.

Also, I think SLI only doubles your fillrate and doesn't help you push more polygons - good for gaming but I doubt 3d content generation is ever fill-bound..

eetu.

Yeah, mine is for my home machine so I had a few other things to consider (like games ;) .. oh and photoshop). If it was for a work machine then I'm not sure which one I'd choose...probably the quadro.

M

I don't have anything technical but here are my impressions. I installed the 8800 GTX in September, about the same time I installed Ubuntu 7.10. The card runs well under Windows XP (not 64). No longer am I plagued by Houdini GUI redraw errors. The view port is smooth, and Houdini 9 would go longer then 10 minutes without crashing, About a week after I installed the card I switched from Windows to Ubuntu, Under Ubuntu after turning on the restricted drives, the 8800 is a dream, It runs smoothly, without issue or error, and gives me unneeded confidence. To be honest I was impressed how well the Ubuntu 7.10 and 8800 worked together. I would recommend this card to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Houdini really doesn't stress the fill rate of a modern graphics card, which is why you won't find much of a difference between various generations. The difference between the GEForce and Quadro *driver* though, is quite noticeable. The GEForce is tuned for games, the Quadro for graphics workstations, and it shows. The Quadro driver runs Houdini and other 3D apps very well, but tends to be noticeably slower playing games. Not that anyone here is playing games.... :)

• 1 month later...

I believe the 9600GT is pretty close to the 8800GT. Not quite as fast, but it's cheaper and uses the same generation hardware so it should be good. You can search for 8800GT vs 9600GT and you'll get tons of comparisons... The 8800 is regarded as the better card though.

Cheers

Marc

A general rule of thumb for nvidia chips:

- the thousands -part of the number is the chip generation

- for the hundreds

100-200-ish are the low-end cards

500-600 are the mid-end cards

800-900 are the high-end cards

- the letters in the end tend to be about the core and memory frequency

(sometimes also # of shader units)

Usually the next generation chips are about one "low-mid-high-end"-step faster than the previous gen.

In other words, a medium-end card of a new generation is roughly equal to the high-end of the preceding gen.

So, true to tradition, 9600 is roughly equal to 8800.

This "rule" might be just lucky happenstance, but it has worked uncannily well for many chip generations now :)

(with exceptions, of course)

eetu.

• 1 month later...

For the more adventurous among your here's a guide explaining how to soft-mod you geforce into a quadro.

(Or perhaps a better wording would be "how to get quadro drivers to run with your geforce")

I haven't tried it yet - if someone does, please tell us how it went :)

eetu.