motion blur

hey,

i m wondering how to get propper motionblur of objects copyed on a particle system...i tried to ad velocity with a point sop a.s.o but i m not geting goot results i also played around with the motionfactor settings in my outputmantra without success

thx

hey,

i m wondering how to get propper motionblur of objects copyed on a particle system...i tried to ad velocity with a point sop a.s.o but i m not geting goot results i also played around with the motionfactor settings in my outputmantra without success

thx

You can use the TrailSOP for this.

Erik

Actually, you cant use the trail SOP in this situation if the point count is changing per frame as it calculates "v" based on the point number.

Ahh Im sorry if a caused confusion here. Well I guess in some cases you can use the trailSOP.

Erik

You have to check "Use template point attributes" on the copy node, to get the velocity for your copies

On top of this, you must get "Velocity Attribute Motion Blur" on the Object's rendering properties (under the Geometry tab)

Actually, you cant use the trail SOP in this situation if the point count is changing per frame as it calculates "v" based on the point number.

that is nice

so i cant use the trail sop to compute velocity if the number of geometry's point will changed within time .

that is nice

so i cant use the trail sop to compute velocity if the number of geometry's point will changed within time .

correct. Velocity is calculated by subtracting the previous frames velocity of each point. If points are generated or die over time, then the point numbers change and therefore it wont be calculating the correct point as its looking at the previous frames point number.

Keep in mind that velocity blur will never give you 'proper' blur anyhow, since it's always the velocity from the previous frame to the current, while all other blur in houdini (by default anyway, now you can change it) blurs from the current frame towards the next. Most of the time you won't notice, but since you asked....

Someone at some facility wrote a node that calculated velocity based on the ID attribute, rather than point number, so changing point counts didn't matter. Also, it looked at the next frame, rather than the previous to compute proper velocities. Maybe this is something Sesi could implement at some point.

Another caveat is rotations however, which don't get blurred. If you have a fast spinning object on a particle and use velocity motion blur, you're only going to get blur from the translation, not the rotation. Just keep that in mind.

Another caveat is rotations however, which don't get blurred. If you have a fast spinning object on a particle and use velocity motion blur, you're only going to get blur from the translation, not the rotation. Just keep that in mind.

But that's why you can now have multiple Geo Time Samples now in Mantra.

Yes, we have Geo Time Samples now but with geometry copied to particles, it won't work so we're back to Velocity blur.

Ah yes, when I came back to this old thread, I assumed one would just use render time instancing.

But... that also doesn't work? Unless I'm missing something, even when using instancing, you don't get rotational blur... in fact, I'm not convinced that multiple time samples work with velocity motion blur at all.

Now, if you don't have changing point counts, you can set Point Motion Blur to Compute sub-frame geometry (deformation), which WILL work, but we've already established that we have changing point counts....

-z