New forum skin

Marc

Hey there

So let us know what you think of everything. This is quite a drastic change, so I expect there to be some comments :). Please let us know of any bugs or major issues you have. Otherwise, comments/crits and the like are welcome here.

Cheers

od[force] chaps.

Yip, those are the default ones. I'm busy trying to source a nice set of icons now. So expect them to change at some point :) .

By the way, you'll notice a little voting icon next to each post. So there is some sort of reputation system built into the forum now. I haven't played with it, but you guys are clever, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

M

• Like 1

It looks slick, the only thing is that i found the old interface more readable. The "start page" where you choose general chat etc had the grayish lines between them to separate them and now its only white space that kinda dissapears on the rows that gt brighter background, and overall size of that page was smaller which i liked (more rows fitted into the screen).. thats just my first impression :)

To be fair, I don't think we've stopped updating our look :D.

Let me know what you think of the legibility of the topic lists. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's good or not. I like the colours, but easily picking out a thread from the list seems to be hard, which tells me that it could use some tweaking.

Thanks all, glad it's generally going down well :). Better than the red monster of 06 anyway.

M

To be fair, I don't think we've stopped updating our look :D.

so true. :)

looks good though.. a bit hard to determine the general threads section versus the pinned section at the top of each forum. Obviously, there's that 'pinned' tag that is easy enough to read but there was more of a visual separation in the last interface that I liked. Now everything just feels streamlined together as if they all have the same weight.. (If that makes any sense.)

Also, all of my forums went back to being unread which was a bit daunting at first. I'm assuming this has to do with new cookies that needed to be generated. Not a huge deal but did this happen to anyone else?

To be honest I dont like it.

Well not 100% true as the default font in this wysiwyg editor seems to be courier.

The information/screen clutter ratio in the old layout was far more useful.

I will not invest in a 17" laptop just to browse the forum.

The times seems to be changing. What will be next? forums.sidefx.com converted to a twitter channel?

looks good though.. a bit hard to determine the general threads section versus the pinned section at the top of each forum. Obviously, there's that 'pinned' tag that is easy enough to read but there was more of a visual separation in the last interface that I liked. Now everything just feels streamlined together as if they all have the same weight.. (If that makes any sense.)

Yeah, that's been bothering me too. Sadly I can't remember how it was separated in the old skin. That's definitely on my list of things to resolve though.. and part of my legibility problem.

To be honest I dont like it.

The times seems to be changing. What will be next? forums.sidefx.com converted to a twitter channel?

Well fair enough. If there's something specific you don't like (or can give examples as to what works better) then we'll certainly try and help accommodate you in any way we can. Unfortunately however, one can't stand in the way of progress :).

Thanks

Marc

oh and to solve the topic read thing (which is a new cookie thing)... just scroll right down to the bottom and click on the little grey link that says "Mark board as read". I find it helps me.

M

Visual-wise, colors etc, I think the new one is nice.

Everything seems to take a lot more space now though, especially vertically.

Previously it was possible to see without scrolling on the front page if there are new messages :)

E.g. the space from the upper edge to "Announcements" is something like 300-400 pixels now ..

Also the small "new messages in this thread" icon is a bit lightly colored, not as obvious as before.

eetu.

I think it's alright. A bit too cluttered. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but the thing I really don't like about it is there doesn't seem to be a good replacement for the Latest Posts link at the the top of the old layout. I mean there is the View New Content link up in the top right, but in my opinion it is useless since it only seems to go by initial post date and also isn't able to view latest posts since it doesn't offer the ability to jump to the first unread post.

Also, is there a way to mark all forums read? I see there are ones to do it when viewing inside each forum but not a global one.

Edited by graham

post-3-12481140864_thumb.jpg

And I think the "View new content" is exactly what you're looking for. It works for me, but I had to mark the whole board as read first, otherwise it didn't work so well.

Everything seems to take a lot more space now though, especially vertically.

Yip, I've made some temp tweaks using firebug (best plugin ever!) and it looks a lot less spacious, which is what I'm hearing. So I'll roll those out when I have more than 2 minutes and I think it will help.

M

Yip, I've made some temp tweaks using firebug (best plugin ever!) and it looks a lot less spacious, which is what I'm hearing. So I'll roll those out when I have more than 2 minutes and I think it will help.

M

That sounds great! and maybe we could throw in a little bold text for unread posts too, to make stand out more than just the filled icon? :)

I'm one of those people who hate change I suppose, but this could grow on me. The only thing I really dislike is the black background. Too contrasty and harsh, and it reminds me of cgtalk. The old color-scheme with the sand colored background was much more pleasant IMO.

But nice work, with some more tweaks it will be good I think. :]