Roadshow Spoilers

robert.magee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the roadshow, Side Effects Software is talking about three topics in our Houdini 9 sneak peek. Each of these represent one facet of the new version although there may be more that we are not talking about. There are no timelines talked about and we will not be announcing any release dates until later. The goal is to simply give the community some information about the upcoming release since we are very proud of the direction the new version is going.

The three topics covered include:

User Interaction - The new version will sport a new cleaner look and feel with more artist-friendly interface elements. The workflow will be updated to enhance Viewer pane interaction while maintaining Houdini's well known network based workflow. It will be easy to do easy things in Houdini 9 and, of course, the hard stuff continues to be easier than you would have thought possible.

HOM - Houdini Object Model - Our hscript and expression languages will be replaced by the HOM initiative which will use Python for all of these tasks. Now you will be able to use Python directly in Houdini for typical scripting tasks and expression writing. Many tasks will now be easier to script and learning how to script Houdini will be easier for anyone with a foundation in Python.

Fluid Solver - Houdini 9 is going to have a robust fluid solver which will tackle both liquids, gas and even sand. You will be able to set up your fluids to interact with other solvers such as the RBD solver in DOPS or drive particles with fluid-style motion.

People who saw the demos in London can certainly talk about what they saw but please note that we may show different movies or more recent examples in future versions of the roadshow.

I hope this alleviates some of the pain for people who can't wait until their local roadshow stop. For others who can't get to a roadshow town, we will post some of the cool visuals after the roadshow is finished when we have had time to compile the best examples from all the shows.

Missed Siggraph his year, so I had high expectations and they where satisfied, this was realy inspiring.

Good to know about phyton, and I now know what script language to focus on.

I see that fluid will come in really handy in project next year with air dynamics.

thanks for a good meeting.

Fluid Solver - Houdini 9 is going to have a robust fluid solver which will tackle both liquids, gas and even sand. You will be able to set up your fluids to interact with other solvers such as the RBD solver in DOPS or drive particles with fluid-style motion.

Great stuff. If I'm reading this right is the fluid solver going to be a new context? Here's hoping you called it FLOPs!

john.

You might be interested to know they are actually building 2 solvers one as a particle solver and another as a level set solver so that should cover the best of both worlds.... They already showed gas interacting with rbd's which look very sweet.

They also talked about and show a still of a volumetric preview in the viewport which look pretty damn close to the quality of a final render, very sweet.

And finally they mention a whole new volumetric renderer, so maybe i3d is going out the window? not too sure of the details....

All good stuff though.