David3D

Hi everyone,

I'm a Houdini FX Artist with 4/5 years experience and I've always worked in Italy, inside companies.

Now I'm in London working as freelance and some of the studios asked me which one is my daily rate.

Can someone help me to understand how much should I ask for?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Regarding vfx wages, a lot of it comes from visa data.

For us based jobs, anyone who has worked in the US under a work visa at any company has their salary and job title accessible by a freedom of information request [other than that and the visa start date, the data is anonymous].

Many of the spreadsheets out there use data from this, A number of websites have search engines to look the data up.

www.h1bwage.com is one, but the problem with work visa data is your job title will vary wildly. At one studio you will be an animator, at another a technical director, at another a digital artist, etc.

So you can search for a few job titles [ fx animator, effects animator, technical director, animator, digital artist, graphic designer, etc] and collate the data to get a feel for what a few rates are. Note that work visa rates are generally medium to long term contract or staff work.

www.glassdoor.com has a few facilities listed on there, but that one is fed by user survey data.

The Animation Guild has a salary survey as well as contracted minimum rates for job categories, but thats mostly data from Disney/Dreamworks feature animation, and a number of smaller unionized animation studios [Nick, Cartoon Network, etc]

Edited by kurtw

Guest xionmark

"day rates" are very bad, avoid at all costs.

Charge by the hour, and make sure you cover overtime if you absolute have to do it; avoiding over time is smart for many reasons.

--Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have experience about this site and i tell you one thing that mostly fake things are available on it. In starting days it was a very good platform for the developers but now it few of them can get benefit from this. Therefore the rates are also not conformed in this site.