Houdini 14 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Re. global vs separated node contexts:

While I agree sometimes the diving in and out of multiple levels of subnetworks can become a chore, the one thing I really do like about Houdini is that the segmentation does in fact make some things simpler and more predictable. Unlike Maya where you can have any kind of data going between any kind of inconsistently named inputs and outputs, with Houdini I always know what is travelling through. For example in SOPs, I know that a node connection always represents a geometry stream, with a detail and a bunch of primitives and points (etc). In Maya there are so many different data types, inputs and outputs that you can't get as good a picture of what's going on in a network - you have to go in a lot more detail and examine exactly what data is going where.

I know there's probably a whole spectrum of alternate possibilities for node network systems as well, but I just want to mention that sometimes forcing things to be simpler and consistent (even if it means a bit more segmentation) is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

+1 to matt.

I think all node in one context will made us quickly nervous to find something, hard to recognize connect which to which. (I already spend a lot of time for these)

I also think we need a good navigation system. (one click context changer, quick selection set for nodes)

I would like to see ramp parameters replaced will full functioning Channel Editor style interface, or AT LEAST bezier handles for the points!

I know it's a workaround, but when I need handles I use keyframes in a spare channel as animation instead of relying on a ramp.

I don't know if H13 already have this but, It would be great if we can have the ocean tools in VOPs also, to mimic the workflow of HOT; Because sometimes is better to evaluate at render time the ocean pattern than a texture lookup.

• Like 4

- CSG support in Mantra would be great

- temperature base light in Kelvin

- create a PBR shader that will only work in PBR mode and will not care about inaccurate models with components like diffuse / specular / reflection , follow exactly the maxwell nomination that respect light properties with Reflectance / Transmittance. Creation of some presets model for this PBR shader like in maxwell

- traduction of those 2 core shader ( Mantra Shader + PBR Shader ) in clean inline VEX code for each components to avoid the mess of the 1.000.000 nodes of the mantra shaders.

• Like 1

I know it's a workaround, but when I need handles I use keyframes in a spare channel as animation instead of relying on a ramp.

You can do it like in the attached hip file, if you were curious about what I was talking about. The key is the "chf" expression

newNoiseInterp_01.hip

Edited by kleer001

Some simple updates to modelling would go a really long way!

Better curve creation and editing tools, some interactive point weld/fuse/collapse tools, easy poly bridging/knitting etc.

And a point level animation tool please! You can only get so far with multiple blendshapes and edits.

And as Marc said - solid viewport display is a must!

Matt.

some interactive point weld/fuse/collapse tools, easy poly bridging/knitting etc.

Yeah, I agree, perhaps an Edit Poly node that can do a lot of this stuff and more (poly split, extrudes, bevels etc) all in the one node so you can do a bit of freeform modelling without using a billion nodes. Pretty much the 3dsmax edit poly modifier.

Things like constraining points to edges/faces and a quicker snap system would be handy too.

Of course keeping/expanding on the single operation nodes for procedural modelling is a must too

Oh, come on guys.... There is nothing will be in upcoming releases from our 13/14 wish lists. I'm starting to think that VFX is the only thing that Side Effects care about. VFX and Mantra. That's not bad actually, but there are tons of RFE. Lots of UI/User interaction should be fixed/improved. Still hoping..

• Like 1

VFX is the only thing that Side Effects care about

But houdini is a big program. We need some improvements. For me - in modeling. I dont want to use Maya|Modo with Houdini. But I love their interactions with viewport and ofcourse customization in this sence. Maybe its only unrealizable dreams. Maybe sometime. Still hoping )

Personally me transition to Qt interests first of all, because after that we can add everything self, imho...

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula

Oh, come on guys.... There is nothing will be in upcoming releases from our 13/14 wish lists. I'm starting to think that VFX is the only thing that Side Effects care about. VFX and Mantra. That's not bad actually, but there are tons of RFE. Lots of UI/User interaction should be fixed/improved. Still hoping..

There are a bunch of things from the 10, 11, 12, and 13 wishlist that made it into Houdini (Odd's are from studio driven RFE as opposed to a wishlist) from 13 wishlist alone orbolt and the implemenatation of a HOT like tool into 13 that's been announced to name a few, plus I'm sure will find a bunch more in H13 tomorrow. You got to remember there's a really small team at SideFX, and the major hurdle with 11 and 12 was under the hood speed enhancements to compete with xsi which was talked about a shit ton. Also some of the more creative and insane ideas may be out side the scope of where SideFX wants to take there software in the future/compete in the market place/where the market will drive them.

For instance I would hope SideFX would challenge the nuke market place with halo again, but they lost that edge of the market a long while back, when they stopped developing it cold. Currently the foundry and sidefx work well together against autodesk, but the foundry is a much bigger team that could cut further into sidefx marketplace. Requesting something like the viewport control-ability like Modo may one day be realized if sidefx changes the way they conceptualize their viewport currently as a data/node interpolation, which sucks, and if there is no major changes besides bug fixes this round, then they'll have to modernize their viewport in the next round to compete in the marketplace, where ui interaction has advanced a lot, since H9. Maybe all it would take on the viewport front is like Jordan Walsh said, a fancier edit node that can handle extrusions and the general Maya modeling concept in a node.

Maybe all it would take on the viewport front is like Jordan Walsh said, a fancier edit node that can handle extrusions and the general Maya modeling concept in a node.

+ normal components highlighting + fast modification of selected components + paint-like selection + some tweak(drag) like tool + not_constrained_to_manipulator transform (like mmb transform in maya) + ...

I think Modo/Houdini is a great combo ... you have 2 talented team that are building in parallel 2 very complementary package ... One is great for building assets, the other is the ultimate weapon to manage huge amount of assets. The day Houdini will be as efficient as modo for modelling is i'm afraid far far away ... I find hard for sesi to compet in this area, to me in a such competitive market you have to stick with your philosophy and be the best in your own niche. This is what SESI does and what Maxwell does , and i love this ! :)

Houdini is a great package for FX/LIGHTING , i believe that SESI also has in his hands the ability to be the next standard in character animation. The tools and the power is here they just need to polish and work on the Animators side to become less scary ... i am working on a show where they use soups to build tension map on a character, this could be done in 2 hours in simple vex in houdini. So i agree that SESI should realise that they can be the next standard in animation ... For modeling even if it would be cool , i think the competition is too harsh !

Using third part tool to build assets like Modo/ZB/Mudbox/Mari/3coat .... and then manage all the assets in houdini RIG/ANIM/FX/LIGHT is a very realistic plan ...

The big challenge is to make animators happy ... and they are picky ... so this will be a big challenge for sesi !

Cheers

E

• Like 1