Houdini 15 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Guest mantragora

Any new tool that you add to ShelfSet which is stored in custom location should pickup this custom location as default SaveTo path, by default. It's a little tedious to do this for each tool while you know that you want it to be stored in exactly this shelf and not in default.shelf file.

The OpenGL tab in Mantra surface / Constant / Clay is the same locked black box.

With aukward not very convenient to use pre-set of parameter.

Having the ability in a Houdini shader to be able to control Mantra - VEX  / Open GL- GLSL Viewport shader would be great.

Basically create a new GLSL context with a set of function, and use those in the shaders.

So each shader would now give acces to 2 parallel context

- the vex one

- the glsl one

thus we could be able to do some real time / precalc lookdev inside Houdini and get a precalc equivalent in Mantra.

pushing the viewport to PBR level quality would be also fantastic.

post-6698-0-10708900-1430474896_thumb.jp

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

+1 for GLSL/Viewport vs VEX/Mantra parallel shading love (UDIM, PBR, etc.)

I don't know how it could be done elegantly (VEX to GLSL/OpenCL LLVM compiling, perhaps?).

That's exactly what i need , thanks Petr ! :) But having this behavior by default in all Houdini shaders would be great.

I know that when you use H you have to reinvent the wheel everyday, but having some default VEX / GLSL in Mantra Shader would be great !

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A "Notes" tab on every node. 

You can use the comment section in the RMB on each node. It gets slightly awkward in hiding it in the MMB info. You'll see it on alot of the Help examples. If it's a shared long term note in the help. Additionally there are stickies.

I wish the note sections were just a tad bit more sophisticated, bullets, bold, italic, hyperlink, etc.

something in between an otl/hda and saved geo.  i'd like to be able to save some kind of network section to disk and then have somebody else load it up as a one-time thing.

sort of like the cpio fakery stuff you can do with copy-and-paste but in a more conveniently sharable method.

so like in the node right-click menu have a "save as code" option and then have an "import code" option under the file menu.  it could even operate using the same mechanism as copy-and-paste (in terms of name collisions and such).

something in between an otl/hda and saved geo.  i'd like to be able to save some kind of network section to disk and then have somebody else load it up as a one-time thing.

You can drag a bunch of selected nodes to the shelf and it will create a shelf tool with the requisite script to reproduce them.

• Like 1

sort of like the cpio fakery stuff you can do with copy-and-paste but in a more conveniently sharable method.

so like in the node right-click menu have a "save as code" option and then have an "import code" option under the file menu.  it could even operate using the same mechanism as copy-and-paste (in terms of name collisions and such).

As Edward said you could do that. 

I actually forgot how useful that function is, they had that at Pysop for Maya.

You could technically make this yourself if your want: Via Edwards method, and/or making your own custom RMB entry which there is help on via python or hscript in the sidefx docs. You can have it pop up a ui dialog, and save these preferences to a common shared project directory. From there you can you could use the run command to load from this directory and/or make an additional RMB that load from this directory.

It's relative complex enough that it be nice if sidefx had it built in, and provided an environment variable to control the save directory to something i.e. $JOB/TempScripts/

If you're feeling ambitious and python savvy you could make it yourself.

yeah, it's something i was considering doing myself, but that RMB menu for nodes is REALLY obnoxios to modify (tho i have that nut cracked now).

the shelf-tool solution wouldn't work for people who are in a session already and just want some node i have in my file.  they'd have to quit and reopen (assuming i save to a common shelf directory) -- they may as well just load a copy of my hip file and copy-and-paste.  and otl would at least have the ability to be imported into an active session, but then you have to hit it with a stick a few times to get rid of it -- and it seems a bit overkill for something potentially trivial.

is the copy-buffer cpio write callable from python?  i did try writing out the "ascode()" string for a node, but then got syntax errors trying to eval() it back in.

yeah, it's something i was considering doing myself, but that RMB menu for nodes is REALLY obnoxios to modify (tho i have that nut cracked now).

the shelf-tool solution wouldn't work for people who are in a session already and just want some node i have in my file.  they'd have to quit and reopen (assuming i save to a common shelf directory) -- they may as well just load a copy of my hip file and copy-and-paste.  and otl would at least have the ability to be imported into an active session, but then you have to hit it with a stick a few times to get rid of it -- and it seems a bit overkill for something potentially trivial.

is the copy-buffer cpio write callable from python?  i did try writing out the "ascode()" string for a node, but then got syntax errors trying to eval() it back in.

ahh... new python sauce, right above asCode() try these out. the file format can be anything with a closed loop for this read and writing. I think .hip would be safest.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/hom/hou/Node#saveChildrenToFile

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/hom/hou/Node#loadChildrenFromFile

...........old answer........

I think you just write it out as a asCode() as .hip as opposed to a .cpio. Then you use hou.hipfile.merge() to bring the file in.

For .cpio I think the vodoo there is pretty strange, with hexpand and hcollapse, otherwise I just haven't messed around with it enough to understand it.  :wacko:

For hscript, opscript > .cmd and then read in by the opread or cmdread

I just ran into a bug that would be nice to have fixed.

When I import Collada or FBX into Houdini it does not create the working RIG portion from the file.

I wish Houdini supported RIG import for these files types, .FBX and .DAE.