The Wave breakdown

Korhon

Hi all! 

I just wanted to share the latest vfx job Gimpville did on The wave(norwegian disatster movie).

Houdini was used for all the simulations and rendering and we couldnt have done this in any other software.

Myself and Ole Geir Eidsheim was responsible for all the Houdini magic on this show. 

Its all flip/pops/sops/bullet/pyro and mantra awsomnes!  Hope you all like it!

Enjoy!

• Like 5

Great job guys!

The thing I liked the most is the RBD stuff, probably because I have done several titanic fluid sims and it always looks out of scale to me, but the complexity in the destruction is awesome.

Is amazing to see what a bunch of good Houdini artists can do with just vanilla Houdini. Something that most big shops don't understand yet.

And yep Mantra can also do amazing images, another tabu for the render community who still think about it as a toy.

Keep the good working!

Thanks for all the kind comment! This means alot! :)

Simulations on this show was extremly huge. The avalanche scene ended up taking 35tb for 800frames :S 

We had 2months of rnd and lookdev on the wave before starting producing all the shots and the setup we made didnt change much during production.

Its basicly a custum ocean deformer with flip ontop of it that took alot of taming and optimizing before acting as it should. 

We also made a custom foam emitter that uses flip instead of the regular pop workflow for the base foam simulation.Severeal pop sims was then simulated based on the basefoam sim to make mist, some pryo was involved here.

The avarage sim times on the wave was :

Base sim 3-6min frame

Mesh base sim 10-30min frame

Sources: 5-10min frame

Misc Foam passes : 3-6min frame

This resulted in 200-400million particles that was used in the final render render using pbr and points. 

The avalance had around 500.000 fractured objects and 500.000 packedprimitives (trees and rocks) in the main sim. Everything was constrained up nicely so when hitting play the avalance started fracturing.

For pyro we had to build our own fluidsource that was able to simulate the containers in around 45degres angle(following the terrain) and split up to 8 different computers.

Creating the smoke source was a real challanges as the data used for emitting was changing alot over time and was very heavy to work with.

The avalance impacting in the water was made using the actualy simdata from the bullet sim, sending it into a flipsim as vdb collision and some custom velocity field in the impac zones for making it larger and more dramatic.

Sim times on the avalance:

Bullet sim: 3-4min frame

Smokesource: 20min frame (this doesent make sense until you start unpacking 500.000 pieces and doing sop stuff on this many polys)

Pop sims for dirt and extra debries around 2-5 min pr frame.

Pyro sim: 1-20min frame each cluster.

Flip impact sim time was the same as mentioned above.

We have used mantra as our main render for many years now so i knew that as long mantra gets enough ram this would renderer smoothly and it did. (and it did use alot of ram) 

Would have loved to do this kind of job again using H15 and the new flip tools there(huge timesaver).

Also you learn ALOT doing a job like this and there are severeal thing we could have solved different for more preformance and resolution on the sims, but overall we are extremely happy with the result :)

Thanks 

Edited by Korhon
  • Like 7