Wiki!

Marc

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the wiki?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Hey all

So I thought I'd get some feedback on who uses the wiki and how valuable it is to us as a community. I added other for any other feedback, please respond to this thread with your 'other' definition. An example would be 'I would use it, but the wiki software sucks', or something along those lines.

Thanks everyone

M

yay first voter!

I don't use the wiki - haven't for maybe years...

that isn't to say the information there isn't useful - some of it still is...but a clever Google search will bring just about anything up that you might be looking for...

and I really think we should bring back "RTFM"...

most of what is on the wiki can be found in the docs - people just don't seem interested in looking (setting aside how good/easy it might be to find something in the docs)

I say we purge what ever is old/out of date and whatever is left we make some simple info pages and/or submit them to SESI for inclusion into the docs...

• Like 1

No. And as a card carrying wiki maintainer, I suspect I know why:

• stuff on the wiki seemed advanced
  • it also seemed a little old
  • the point of a wiki is everyone jumps in to help edit, but I didn't know enough houdini to feel I could contribute meaningfully ( this is odforce after all)
  • folk who might have the appropriate knowledge level are too busy to bother making pages

I'm more comfortable running my own wiki, where the blame can only point at me.

Yeah the wiki filled a valuable need back when we started it, but the Houdini docs are so good now and there are so many other resources out there that it's lagged behind a little ;). It may be premature, but I think I can see where the vote is trending to.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

M

I voted no; as with others I found the wiki really useful back in the day, but now the Houdini docs are improving at a fair clip I haven't used it for a while.

That said, one of the things I have found useful is the list of studios using Houdini (as I was looking for work recently). It would be nice rescue that page in some form, although perhaps it would be better as a pinned thread on the forums?

I voted no; as with others I found the wiki really useful back in the day, but now the Houdini docs are improving at a fair clip I haven't used it for a while.

That said, one of the things I have found useful is the list of studios using Houdini (as I was looking for work recently). It would be nice rescue that page in some form, although perhaps it would be better as a pinned thread on the forums?

I think that would be one of the pages we'd save...all the stuff that is about Houdini in the industry and Houdini culture etc...

most of the stuff about how to do things /in/ Houdini are out dated or better described elsewhere...

• 4 weeks later...

I've contributed a bit in the past, but as a SESI developer I'd contribute to our own documentation rather than a 3rd party wiki. Just reaches more people. Assuming people actually read the documentation, that is :)

it would be nice if the doc system is more open like the wikipedia so the user can add some text, images and example hip files for enhancing the docs and sesi can approve it.

a open task list for the docs can also help to see whats missing and mostly there a some discussions in the forum where the anwser is written but it misses in the doc's.

• Like 2

That would be great.

I could imagine a fancier version somewhere between a wiki and github; the local docs could be annotated by users, and you could submit those changes to sidefx for potential adding to the official docs. Might be tricky re keeping local edits safe between upgrades, or if larger facilities run a central help server.

ugh...docs open to "users"?

no thanks... ;)

one of the problems with this idea is that someone at SESI will have to troll through every doc change an attempt to extract useful information, then edit the doc etc etc...

currently users can just send us direct feedback (through support) to have changes made to the docs...which they do all the time.

I've seen this 'open docs' idea elsewhere and without very heavy moderation the docs just become a forum where people stray off topic almost instantly...

one thing that SESI hasn't really made clear to people is that RFE's can include documentation - if there is a topic not documented clearly or at all - that's an RFE... :)

Fair enough - you're probably also dealing with a crowd that notices the tiniest of details too :)

This morning noticed two/three things amiss but no time to submit, and not such a big deal too. e.g. 'DSP' in the Houdini preferences, should be 'Motion FX', Clicking on the help/'?' has 'DSP' there too i.e.'View Overridden Parameters in DSP view', and, missing examples for 'Capture Mirror' docs. H 15.0.347. 

Yesterday saw probably another 2 or 3 things etc.  this is the type of thing I *think* most people want to help out with, not major things, they are almost cosmetic.

post-8321-0-78760800-1452117730_thumb.pn