Marc

C/c++ Tutorials

So I thought this thread might help other beginners venture into the wild world of C/C++ programming.

If you've found any good tutorials/docs then post the links here.

Here's my first couple:

Getting started:

Basic C++

Pointers do what now?:

Pointers & Memory

• Like 1

There are two books that I have read (mostly) and would recommend.

One is Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo.

The other is the one my instructor used for the class I took called, C++ How to Program Fourth Edition by Deitel.

Other than those books, I would HIGHLY recommend taking a real class. I am a "self-taught" kind of guy, but the syntax in C++ seems very flexible and therefore somewhat convoluted. I'm always getting stuck on dumb stuff like "should I use -> or . on this object?" And "what type of object can I use here?"

So I'm hoping some online tutorials will be forthcoming? ;)

The other is the one my instructor used for the class I took called, C++ How to Program Fourth Edition by Deitel.

I dun like this book. It's too much water in it. But well. Maybe really good for beginners.

I like the Stroustrup's style :D He writes laconically.

Thanks for this good resource. I am looking for a C++ book for a beginner level. Most of the books I have found to be recomended by others are already listed here. however I have also found a huge amount of peope warning future c/c++ learners about Herbert Schildt's books. Here: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/C-faq/learn/ (item 16) Everybody says "Avoid it!"

Just wanted to share, and maybe get alternative oppinions on this.

Thanks.