No More H In A52 ???

Rafal123

These things happen all the time. I really think the single useful thing would be more aggressive marketing from SESI. It's not the first time Alias & Autodesk publish "independent" articles which are basically full of lies. This is the way they do their marketing it seems. Same goes for Softimage. But SESI is very helpful here, by being very quiet about productions using Houdini, about the animators from CORE using Houdini and finding it more powerful and fun than Maya and so on.

Dragos

26275[/snapback]

Maybe we should post a link to Andrew Hall's post at SESI forum so that somebody from marketing department (or is there such a thing at SESI? :huh: ) could use it as a counter-article, for example?

SESI?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should post a link to Andrew Hall's post at SESI forum so that somebody from marketing department (or is there such a thing at SESI? :huh: ) could use it as a counter-article, for example? 

SESI?

26278[/snapback]

or maybe we should write a post on cgTalk news forum that this article is full of lies?

I just got a phonecall and all your rants are getting me in trouble. I posted

to this thread because I consider Andy Hall and Mark Tobin to be personal

friends. I believe that they made the decision to switch largeley to Maya for

sound and resonable business reasons. Naturally, this made their small

Houdini staff move on to greener pastures (expect even more great work from

Asylum's expanded Houdini team) but it wasn't some dark and devious software

coup.

The real story to take from their switch is that we need more Houdini users

out there in the freelance market if we want Houdini to be a presence in this

type of shop. They HAD to make the switch in order to grow.

These "a52 sux" rants remind of the snowboarders vs. skiiers krap you hear

about. Anybody that has lived in a ski resort for more than 2 years doesn't

even acknowledge a difference between the 2, but every wiseguy knowitall that

visits or moves up from florida hates the other camp solidly believing in

their own superiority.

Someday you kids will grow up and realize an artist is an artist. And business

is always a fight to survive, so stupid marketing articles shouldn't actually

piss you off. And have some respect! jeez!

Hey there,

anything what was said directly to/about Andy Hall is childish - that's clear...

and there are number of reasons to change your tool, often on worse one (because: cheaper, more accessible etc.) . Business is a business. The problem (for community not for SESI I think) was in a bias way written article, which seems to be more like a commercial.

Read on a Web how many corrections was published by Autodesk concerning the fact that they had kicked out hundreds of people from Alias. They really didin't wanted to be perceived as heartless gigant.

The sense of the article from a marketing point of view was: "campany mostly renowned for its work in "photoreal-effects" field of CG Industry left software formerly perceived as a best tool for such a work... since modern times are coming."

When I've read the article I wasn't angry, just sad because I loved to watch their commercials and I'm sure part of its quality comes from Houdini/RenderMan pair.

But when Andy Hall has read the article He should be angry... as he was used to something out of his control. Was He?

And, at the end, whole this issue isn't very important, you're right. Respect :)

cheers,

SYmek.

I just got a phonecall and all your rants are getting me in trouble...

...These "a52 sux" rants remind of the...

...Someday you kids will grow up and realize an artist is an artist. And business

is always a fight to survive, so stupid marketing articles shouldn't actually

piss you off.  And have some respect! jeez!

26309[/snapback]

I mostly missed this thread, and just finished going through it now. Firstly, why exactly are you getting into trouble, Ivan? Seems a little off base to me.

Secondly (and thirdly) I didn't see any "a52 sux" posts. I think the overwhelming majority were arguing about how the facts were spun into something that closely resembled a marketing press release. Considering the fact that this was from a supposed unbiased third party, I think people have every right to be a little put out.

Personally I don't get upset about this sort of thing anymore. But it's easy for me to not care, sitting in a big fat studio, with a big fat renderfarm filled with lovely houdini licenses. When I was in a small studio with the hopes of one day moving up in the world, this sort of article would piss me off too.

For one thing, there are already far too many maya users out there anyway. The last thing we need is for potential fx guys to be put off learning Houdini just because of biased articles. Then we have less new artists, which lead to more studio's dropping houdini, which means I have to learn Maya... and believe me, that would suck.

I like being easily employable, thank you very much :D

Hey there,

anything what was said directly to/about  Andy Hall is childish - that's clear...

26310[/snapback]

Yeah, Jason ;)...

P.S. Just so we're clear... I'm not advocating the lynching of cgsociety. I like em as much as the next guy, but I do think articles like that should be minimised. Unless of course they're getting big christmas presents from Autodesk, but then they should be clearly labeled as such. :)

anything what was said directly to/about  Andy Hall is childish - that's clear...

Oh, I think Andy'll forgive me my gentle prodding, heh heh. One or two late nights of drinking with him I hope have earned me just enough wiggle-room to do so.

Ivan, I think there is no anomosity toward A52 here.. may have sounded like it; but definitely not.

If the things published in the article are indeed lies, then A52 should ask cgsociety to publish an errata with the correct facts.

If someone gives an interview fully knowing that "How they spin that is out of my control........" then what's the point of spending precious time giving the interview? Mr Hall could simply tell them: "write what you want and put my name on it".

As for Mr. DeWolf's post, I really think the phrase: "Someday you kids will grow up and realize an artist is an artist. And business is always a fight to survive, so stupid marketing articles shouldn't actually piss you off. And have some respect! jeez!" is actually the most disrespectful in the whole thread.

To make things clear: I have great respect for both A52 (no matter what software they use) and Mr DeWolf.

Dragos

• 2 weeks later...

hahahaha...

it's too bad that most of the time these types of articles are so badly written/reported/researched/etc...the AWN article on the wild has misquotes and articles like these have factual errors all over the place...then there are the ones that have the heavy hand of a software developer behind them - like all those 'articles' touting maya as the only software used on any film with VFX in it for the past 10 years...

the fact that the A52 article can be changed (obviously due in part to us teasing them about it here) invisibly, without a little sidebar or something saying 'revised' or whatever is a pretty clear indication that there are really no journalistic standards in this industry at all...

Well, the date on it at cgsociety.com now says April 6.

26732[/snapback]

huray! victrory!

And yes, sorry Andy if I abused you somehow, that was not something I ment, for sure. I have also wrote you a letter of apologise, I hope you received it.

Rafal123

Why we should take care of it huh? We r just the users, so if company A or B doesn't care of it why we should?

I guess the way the whole matter turned out is actually the answer why we should care ;)