Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Masoud

How can I use "Turbulent Noise" as a displacement?

Recommended Posts

I have only Houdini 16

use this and have fun :wub:

 

disp.thumb.jpg.c53422825a8bd22e34e9f5040350e29b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aah, I just had a hard time dealing with this problem this weekend.

Found some solutions but overcomplicated IMO.
With just a principled shader at Mat level is so simple, by the way no need to unwrap or rest sop in the sphere object... but I can't get it to work in a material builder. trying all sort of tranform space but no way.
But thank to sreltak network I guess why. Need to retry.

Displace_F.hip

PS don't forget to frequently stop and restart mantra (not only refresh) when you do your tests.

displace.jpg

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Fred! Open the Displace_F.hip, I don`t see any displacement in a viewport. What I am doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flcc said:

Aah, I just had a hard time dealing with this problem this weekend.

Found some solutions but overcomplicated IMO.
With just a principled shader at Mat level is so simple, by the way no need to unwrap or rest sop in the sphere object... but I can't get it to work in a material builder. trying all sort of tranform space but no way.
But thank to sreltak network I guess why. Need to retry.

Displace_F.hip

PS don't forget to frequently stop and restart mantra (not only refresh) when you do your tests.

 

hello flcc,

when you collaps to material network you have to re-assign the material to the sphere. it's still looking for the principledshader. but the displacment bound on the properties-node seems not working right. I deleted the channel and set it to 10 and it worked. 

Edited by primzahl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I completely misunderstood the original Masoud question, I thought the goal was to see the material displacement in the viewport. I have no idea why, sorry :)

But I am still interested if ist possible. 

Edited by kiryha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@primzahl
I try what you say, but I get this. Trying to crank up the bound value don't change anything.
Maybe there's something I didn't understand.

@kiryha
Look at the Houdini VOPs // Illume Webinar with Jeff Wagner. In the exemple files, there is one called vops_grunge_up_diffuse.hip where there is a material with displace visible in the viewport. Why it's work and mine not, I really have no idea.

Displace_F2.hip

 

Capture2.JPG

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, srletak said:

I have only Houdini 16

use this and have fun :wub:

 

disp.thumb.jpg.c53422825a8bd22e34e9f5040350e29b.jpg

Thank you but this seems very complicated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 8:20 PM, flcc said:

Aah, I just had a hard time dealing with this problem this weekend.

Found some solutions but overcomplicated IMO.
With just a principled shader at Mat level is so simple, by the way no need to unwrap or rest sop in the sphere object... but I can't get it to work in a material builder. trying all sort of tranform space but no way.
But thank to sreltak network I guess why. Need to retry.

Displace_F.hip

PS don't forget to frequently stop and restart mantra (not only refresh) when you do your tests.

displace.jpg

Thank you, but I want to use displacement in material builder...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you find the solution, let us know.
Really curious to unserstand why it don't work in material builder !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.10.2019 at 8:39 PM, flcc said:

@primzahl
I try what you say, but I get this. Trying to crank up the bound value don't change anything.
Maybe there's something I didn't understand.

 

hello, I added the properties node to your network and now the displacment works. Kai Stavginski form sidefx explains the workflow in one of his shader-tutorials, but I have forgotten in which one - I belive it is the costum shader ...

 

 

Displace_F2_v1.hipnc

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh Thank you very much.

So in materialBuilder context the displacementBound of the principled Shader don't work and you must use a mantra propertie !
it's a bit sneaky IMO.
I could never have found it on my own. And yet I searched. This should be indicated in bold and red in the displacement section of the doc.

 

Thanks again :)

 

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×