How can I use "Turbulent Noise" as a displacement?

Aah, I just had a hard time dealing with this problem this weekend.

Found some solutions but overcomplicated IMO.
With just a principled shader at Mat level is so simple, by the way no need to unwrap or rest sop in the sphere object... but I can't get it to work in a material builder. trying all sort of tranform space but no way.
But thank to sreltak network I guess why. Need to retry.

Displace_F.hip

PS don't forget to frequently stop and restart mantra (not only refresh) when you do your tests.

displace.jpg

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flcc said:

With just a principled shader at Mat level is so simple, by the way no need to unwrap or rest sop in the sphere object... but I can't get it to work in a material builder. trying all sort of tranform space but no way.

Displace_F.hip

PS don't forget to frequently stop and restart mantra (not only refresh) when you do your tests.

hello flcc,

when you collaps to material network you have to re-assign the material to the sphere. it's still looking for the principledshader. but the displacment bound on the properties-node seems not working right. I deleted the channel and set it to 10 and it worked. 

Edited by primzahl

Ah, I completely misunderstood the original Masoud question, I thought the goal was to see the material displacement in the viewport. I have no idea why, sorry :)

But I am still interested if ist possible. 

Edited by kiryha

@primzahl
I try what you say, but I get this. Trying to crank up the bound value don't change anything.
Maybe there's something I didn't understand.

@kiryha
Look at the Houdini VOPs // Illume Webinar with Jeff Wagner. In the exemple files, there is one called vops_grunge_up_diffuse.hip where there is a material with displace visible in the viewport. Why it's work and mine not, I really have no idea.

Displace_F2.hip

Capture2.JPG

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:20 PM, flcc said:

Displace_F.hip

displace.jpg

Thank you, but I want to use displacement in material builder...

On 15.10.2019 at 8:39 PM, flcc said:

@primzahl
I try what you say, but I get this. Trying to crank up the bound value don't change anything.
Maybe there's something I didn't understand.

hello, I added the properties node to your network and now the displacment works. Kai Stavginski form sidefx explains the workflow in one of his shader-tutorials, but I have forgotten in which one - I belive it is the costum shader ...

Displace_F2_v1.hipnc

• Thanks 1

Ahh Thank you very much.

So in materialBuilder context the displacementBound of the principled Shader don't work and you must use a mantra propertie !
it's a bit sneaky IMO.
I could never have found it on my own. And yet I searched. This should be indicated in bold and red in the displacement section of the doc.

Thanks again :)

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1