Tutorials recommendation for biomorphic architectural designs

archz2

I am absolutely new to Houdini. Please provide course recommendations specifically for designing complex solid volumes.
My background is in architecture so I want to right now focus on architectural design, landscape design, pavilion design, geometrical sculptures (like, not involving animals, humans,etc.), industrial design, interior design etc.

I am enclosing some images which illustrate the styles of geometry and design that I want to learn. Some images have been taken from https://www.softbiome.online/. I cannot afford their courses due to their steep price, therefore, seeking alternatives. 

60b787bd7eb48_img(10).thumb.jpg.a99432a9894ddf8cebb7ccd1b6740c04.jpg60b787bb65661_img(9).thumb.jpg.6836d6d176915c8ca182cc60be160472.jpg60b787b88387b_img(8).thumb.jpg.e76d9e55dbf0ead6a8f6ec2fff4ac1a0.jpg60b787b63b24c_img(7).thumb.jpg.cf2ecced9bfc3c5a89dbd82567b9faf5.jpg60b787b444c7b_img(6).thumb.jpg.971a116b986b23bad1f261bd50812f26.jpg60b787b2253b9_img(5).thumb.jpg.2e5f2d820af2af6c21679600ca667384.jpg60b787ae7efa3_img(4).thumb.jpg.56df6772cfe5dcab4468988e362acbbc.jpg60b787abde152_img(3).thumb.jpg.8c7ab1a97a3410a9fa4855c343cf5cd1.jpg60b787a96e5f7_img(2).thumb.jpg.23dddfa4a1d2b7796038c1c21ebdb301.jpg60b787a6ee33f_img(1).thumb.jpg.8c482902a9e5d6e48a6c1630718d049f.jpg60b787a4015fe_img(19).thumb.jpg.2d44da87ca12cc55455b16564916ce06.jpg60b787a11d2a7_img(18).thumb.jpg.6ed37724ac136f550fd4f8fdc998787d.jpg60b7879ece4c5_img(17).thumb.jpg.596e28e2e65bd455a571446b0b4b9bf2.jpg60b7879c79ccd_img(16).thumb.jpg.34a62636001a39dede464f0f0500e05e.jpg60b7879a11057_img(15).thumb.jpg.fdfcf049a51111b820d6dd018cd7fd99.jpg60b7879818a99_img(14).thumb.jpg.b924b555c1ec60611ce9adb41c7a4041.jpg60b787956e1fb_img(13).jpg.5a29d5f66c42c0c621ad8e21287035d0.jpg60b787939ecfe_img(12).thumb.jpg.9afa045ae9f8301cd00cf61d0622afc7.jpg60b78791d8683_img(11).thumb.jpg.6758695c9257bb68b629fa586893a6c6.jpg

Hi @archz2,

John Kunz and Tim J provide videos on creating abstract biomorphic shapes with:
https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnKunz/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/timjdesign/videos

Also Entagma has a systematic introduction to volumes specifically:
https://entagma.com/category/premium-course/volumes101/

• Like 3

On 6/2/2021 at 11:50 PM, konstantin magnus said:

Hi @archz2,

John Kunz and Tim J provide videos on creating abstract biomorphic shapes with:
https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnKunz/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/timjdesign/videos

Also Entagma has a systematic introduction to volumes specifically:
https://entagma.com/category/premium-course/volumes101/

Amazing!!! Really cool tutorials John Kunz and Tim J have posted. Thanks a lot for sharing their links. I've fast forwarded through some of the videos and they've designed some really mind blowing stuff. 

I have only gone through youtube searches for entagma and could only find  videos about advect growth which came close to my requirement. I haven't gone through their patreon page. A friend of mine has their subscription though. 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, Librarian said:

@archz2  Absolutely you can find  everything about that Topic here on Forum , just search and make some research ..if you still Have problem after then ......I gonna post files ..make your self At Home .so to speaking
:wub:

Definitely. So I'll search more with keywords like biomorphic, growth algorithms, growth volumes. Any particular keywords you can suggest which describe such types of forms and processes in Houdini?

16 hours ago, Librarian said:

L-system endless Fun

TesanArchGame.jpg

25A0rch.jpg

25A0rcd00hf.jpg

25A0rcgd00hf.jpg

Really fascinating designs! So this is all based in L-systems? I'm not familiar with the term. 

@archz2 I'm hobbyist so I have definitely wrong set of mind(thinking like Ladies and Dudes that work For movies advertising and other ) if you asking me for advice..I just Having Fun ..and I like It..
here its me and company ..I just combine knowledge from peoples from all over the world and learning on my way ..  have fun READING THIS ..

Funny that you didn't learn In Architect school About L-system ,Linden Mayer'system HM..Basically that its the point with that Mind of thinking and Design (biomorphic) I think ... hm..Nature

• Like 1

If your school doesn't introduce you some method of parametric design, you should consider switching to another one :)

It hard to answer you as the picture you shown used different method, and in houdini most of the time for achieving one goal, multiple roads exist. Just do not burn the steps :) many

Grass hoper is also a good option if you are not afraid of its interface. There are plenty of discussion posted here, and paper on the web to read, start with a basic challenge, experiment by yourself and be patient... 

Solver, volume sculpting , L_sys, algorithm like Differential growth, DLA, GrayScott Reaction-diffusion, Space colonization,  Fibonacci sequence , Implicit surface, Phyllotaxis , shortest path and voroinoid patern, recursion and fractal subd( Hansmeyer ), here few examples of names you should be familiar with, google then, that's not about houdini but  they will help you :)

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

strangeform_research_lucida.PNG

lucida_method2_wipnofinish.PNG

lucerna_magna_veinsB.PNG

lucerna.magna_veinsdetailsB.PNG

lucerna.magna_wiptest_mainunderlayingbody_optionK.PNG

lucerna.magna_wiptest_mainunderlayingbody.PNG

strangerndwip8_element_filamentA+B_lowerplantfloor.PNG

strangerndwip8_element_filamentA4_lowerplantfloor.PNG

strangerndwip7.PNG

coralringcurves.PNG

cutestrangecreaturedifferentialgrow2.PNG

coralring.PNG

strangerndwip5.PNG

• Like 2

On 6/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, Librarian said:

@archz2 I'm hobbyist so I have definitely wrong set of mind(thinking like Ladies and Dudes that work For movies advertising and other ) if you asking me for advice..I just Having Fun ..and I like It..
here its me and company ..I just combine knowledge from peoples from all over the world and learning on my way ..  have fun READING THIS ..

Funny that you didn't learn In Architect school About L-system ,Linden Mayer'system HM..Basically that its the point with that Mind of thinking and Design (biomorphic) I think ... hm..Nature

You've done really amazing work. I'll have to probably spend a year of practicing Houdini before I can reverse engineer the geometries that you've developed. Thanks for sharing. 

5 hours ago, vinyvince said:

If your school doesn't introduce you some method of parametric design, you should consider switching to another one :)

It hard to answer you as the picture you shown used different method, and in houdini most of the time for achieving one goal, multiple roads exist. Just do not burn the steps :) many

Grass hoper is also a good option if you are not afraid of its interface. There are plenty of discussion posted here, and paper on the web to read, start with a basic challenge, experiment by yourself and be patient... 

Solver, volume sculpting , L_sys, algorithm like Differential growth, DLA, GrayScott Reaction-diffusion, Space colonization,  Fibonacci sequence , Implicit surface, Phyllotaxis , shortest path and voroinoid patern, recursion and fractal subd( Hansmeyer ), here few examples of names you should be familiar with, google then, that's not about houdini but  they will help you :)

strangeform_research_lucida.PNG

lucida_method2_wipnofinish.PNG

lucerna_magna_veinsB.PNG

lucerna.magna_veinsdetailsB.PNG

lucerna.magna_wiptest_mainunderlayingbody_optionK.PNG

lucerna.magna_wiptest_mainunderlayingbody.PNG

strangerndwip8_element_filamentA+B_lowerplantfloor.PNG

strangerndwip8_element_filamentA4_lowerplantfloor.PNG

strangerndwip7.PNG

coralringcurves.PNG

cutestrangecreaturedifferentialgrow2.PNG

coralring.PNG

strangerndwip5.PNG

Sorry for not replying at that time. Got interrupted by something urgent. Thanks for the long list of keywords man. Super interesting designs!!  I've worked extensively with Grasshopper since 2019, but never done any biomorphic style geometries. I've worked with discrete clusters, tweened modules morphed over meshes using Pufferfish, spaceframes, shells, tensile structures, magnetic field lines to name a few types. I did my B.Arch. way back in 2012. I'm from India so we don't have heavy integration of computational design in our architectural education yet. We have a lot to catch up and improve in our profession compared to the West!!

A lot of this stuff is Diffusion Reaction, Volume, and/or solver based. Getting familiar with basic VDB nodes will go a long way in most of these. Stuff like using noises to erode other volumes then converting back to polygons type stuff.

Some other reference images you have are just creative Greeble style polygon manipulation but with basic poly shapes. The Mardini SciFi breakdown (Fendra Fx) I released recently actually goes over a cheap way to make some poly extrusions randomly across a surface.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vfxman222 said:

A lot of this stuff is Diffusion Reaction, Volume, and/or solver based. Getting familiar with basic VDB nodes will go a long way in most of these. Stuff like using noises to erode other volumes then converting back to polygons type stuff.

Some other reference images you have are just creative Greeble style polygon manipulation but with basic poly shapes. The Mardini SciFi breakdown (Fendra Fx) I released recently actually goes over a cheap way to make some poly extrusions randomly across a surface.

Thanks sir. I'll surely go through the video. 

• 1 month later...

Having fun with the squad primitive, never thought i could get this from a crustacea without uv or texture ;)

houdiniproceduralflower8.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower5.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower3.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower2.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower.PNG

houdiniproceduralflower6.PNG

Another daily houdini experiment.
Not much my cup of tea, but Sop Solver with VEX from a grid, no Simulation

sopsolver_fun_vince.gif

sopsolvervince6.png

sopsolvervince1.png

Edited by vinyvince

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2021 at 8:33 PM, vinyvince said:

Another daily houdini experiment.
Not much my cup of tea, but Sop Solver with VEX from a grid, no Simulation

sopsolver_fun_vince.gif

sopsolvervince6.png

sopsolvervince1.png

So nice, where can I find some tutorials/info on this kind of thing? I don't know how/what to search for this