Houdini 13 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

- more viewport interactivity please !

( as poster of post #162 said and more )

here it is a video illustrating some 'more' viewport interaction ( an ex-LightWave plugin appearing in modo )

http://content.luxol...CS_Teaser_1.mp4

http://content.luxol...CS_Teaser_2.mp4

and from what i have seen , modo pays special attention to viewport controls ..

.cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I could use python, but it seems like

I am curious when this would be needed and why you can't use python?

I use python to work around it, but it seems like an easy thing to add.

For instance, when you want to iterate over a file in cops you first need to create it,

otherwise it gives an error. If you could simply check if the file exists you can do this within one structure more easily

(instead of having to having 2 separate structure to first create the file)

Yes, it is a minor thing, but a thing nonetheless.

Also, how would you do this in python?

I currently have set up a network of render nodes going back and forth, linked together with python,

maybe not the best solution, but I had difficulties with linking the nodes normally, due to their order and the varying frame scopes.

note that I do not know a lot about generic python yet and its functions.

Edited by acey195

I actually saw a nice feature in Derivative's tutorial videos.

There is a quick toggle in the parameters window to hide all the parameters that have their value at default, only showing the ones you modified.

I'd be really glad to see this in Houdini, as, with some nodes and their extensive numer of settings, you can spend a lot of time looking for the parameter you want to fine tune.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wd be nice to have an additional option of controling bezier keyframes .

im referring to left and right handles .

their end points cd be expressed in time-value space too ( just like keyframes themselves ) .

if not fully , at least 'pythonically' .. wd be great . thanks !

.cheers

A UI update so you change the flow of wiring nodes, similar to Nuke.

Currently only in certain networks you can move down or left to right. It be cool if there was a network pane option that let you unlock the default pattern, and switch to either default, left to right, right to left, or free flow. Free flow would be similar to Nuke where the inputs slide and rotate around the node. Plus change the ability to switch the default shape of the nodes to something with a little orientation in the design possibly a couple options, default, oval, circle. triangle, square, (something more aesthetically interested/pleasing) etc.. this way it be more friendly to different flow patterns.

This is def one of those far off things, but I believe it would expand some of the creative indirect uses of the network areas. While it is nice to always have the same flow in each area, sometimes, it a little limiting, when you want to expand the idea of a foreign concept in Houdini that should be easy to do in practice. An example is treating Sops, more like, shops/vops. Esp for some software packages jumpers, or customized tool work flows that are non-traditional.

• Like 1

> add the Python Source Editor to the family of pane-ble features .

as it is ( floating ) doesnt seem useful .. or better seems useful at first but 'a pain' later ..

wd be nice to have that and Python Shell married and sharing the same bed ( Pane ) ..

splited vertically , preferably .. thanks !

.cheers

Guest mantragora

I don't know if other apps have this but Cinema 4D have preview of your animation path in viewport that you can modify also in viewport. Something like follow path where you can modify curve but Cinema does it also for normal keyframe animation. You don't have to go to ChannelEditor to tweak movement.

• Like 1

I don't know if other apps have this but Cinema 4D have preview of your animation path in viewport that you can modify also in viewport. Something like follow path where you can modify curve but Cinema does it also for normal keyframe animation. You don't have to go to ChannelEditor to tweak movement.

I did my tools for that. It's free.

https://vimeo.com/19622918