• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

*sob*....*sob*...

sorry dudes, inside joke....

Jens?

PS: hmmm rereading my post: sorry guys, didn't mean to be rude, it's just that it's the same exact effect me and Jens recreated right after we saw the movie.....got us all excited....

it's nice to see that it still captures the imagination....it's also a cool effect topic!....sooo.....what does everyone think?

you might wanna specify what cross-sections should the pins have... ;)

cheers

Hahahahaha,

Yep, Sirogi and I didn't waste any time after the movie and created a little pin table of our own. The hard part was not so much trying to figure out how to do it, but to decide if the pins were squares, or hexagons. After much debating, and consulting demons, we decided that it absoluted HAD TO BE hexagons.

So, we built a procedural hexagon table, that had variable resolution, so that in houdini, we could view it with, say, 100 pins, and then render with 2000.

Think it's easy to build a hexagon table??? Well, now that we know the answer, of course it is, but getting there took a little time, for whatever reason.

:)

I'm sure I can find our little test animation somewhere... I'll try to make an animated gif and post.

Cheers!

Jens

well, having actually done the shots in xmen.....

i can say that we did use square pins. the hexgons would have been nice but the prop they made and brought in were actually solid pieces of balsa wood with wthing strips cut into them. no props were used in the movie. plus we were still trying to figure out how many pins would be necessary. i think at one point we were at 25 pins/sq inch of table top.

we had the entire thing running with the basic houdini tools but ended up making custom tools to make it faster and easier to use.

it was rendered in prman and yes it would have been faster to render the entire image on its side rather than top to bottom. fatter pins were used to generate a shad pass and then we rendered skinny ones for the beauty pass. we didn't want to add to the moir