Houdini 16 Wishlist

I'd be very interested to see where SESI can take this, too. They've had this precursor for years: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.0/nodes/chop/blendpose

Among the things you're talking about, it would be great to see this functionality outside of CHOPs - in Python and/or VEX, now that it has arrays as such. Perhaps Edward would like to port it over, as a little bonus! ;)

few years ago I submitted RFE to blendpose to be able to use quaternion rotation samples (especially since CHOPs have quaternion tag for rotations) so that the actual weight is computed among exact rotations (poses) instead of specific 3 independent euler angles which doesn't describe the pose at all

I'd have to find the exact response, but in other words it was rejected by SESI

but without similar functionality I can't imagine proper pose space deformers so porting this without making it more robust would be missed opportunity

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

these are mere complains from yours truly.

rotation stiffness 0 means no rotation :blink: . should higher number be more stiff.

cone twist constraint accepting vector4(this is a request)

dragforce dop makes bullet sims explode.

constraint strength attribute usually needs to be too big(yes i check my scales),

please also make the legacy subnet vops(if,while,for) available too, i found my vop networks really huge..

thanks for reading.

Edited by willow wafflebeard

I'd like to see a H15.5 that address quite a few of the remaining modelling tools. The new ones are super shinny!  

It would also hit my prediction that in two years, from ~Apr 2014, Houdini would be very competitive in these areas  B)

when softimage was EOL someone at sesi made a post (sidefx forum) that it takes two years for the updates. i'm not sure if it was robert magee and what type of update modeling and/or animation.

A MORE ACCURATE SURFACE TENSION MODEL FOR LITTLE SCALE FLIP-SIMS

including better tools/behavior for little-scale sims in general (cm-scene scale, water drops, splashes etc.)

Realistic results are imho nearly impossible to achive at the moment. (Please correct and enlighten me if I'm wrong here!)

Designated Target:

Example that it can work: Realflow + Q-Solver

Annother example of 2 colliding waterdrops (Realflow + Q-Solver):

https://vimeo.com/127714062

Please refere to this thread for more information:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23660-q-solver-plugin-for-realflow/

Some stuff is already going on in the community, but it's all RnD at the moment:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/18111-flip-smorganicsheeter-effect/

Thank's to all the hard working people at SESI!

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 3

Realistic results are imho nearly impossible to achive at the moment. (Please correct and enlighten me if I'm wrong here!)

I agree with you Philipp it was extremely hard to get smooth / clean liquid with surface tension with Houdini FLIP.

I ended up using Zbrush / Lattice / Cloth / wire / Blendshape / VDB and POP to do the job.

The only shots i've seen  that where good enough imo were done by Anikushin Alexey and Alejandro Echeverry.

both have develop their own surface tension solver to achieve their great result. I guess it ask time 

and effort to develop them, and we often don't have this time in commercial work.

so having some default tool to enhance the workflow for small scale / SPH jobs like 

- default efficient / working surface tension inside the FLIP solver 

- default sheeter 

would be great ! 

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 5

Transformations is where I'd like to see work done first as far as modeling goes. Having extrudes, bevels and the likes is obviously very important for a modeler, but without selections (mostly sorted out if we ignore the recently introduced bugs) and transformations, they become just another set of nodes to be used in procedural modeling and other effects.

Another one would be a much more powerful tree-view, something to put to shame XSI's explorer preferably, but if that's too much, at least make it about the same in terms of versatility.

Edited by McNistor

Another one would be a much more powerful tree-view, something to put to shame XSI's explorer preferably, but if that's too much, at least make it about the same in terms of versatility.

a better tree view would be nice (for some - personally I don't care for it) but the difficulty is how to show the relationships between objects...

Nested, obviously. But, since chances are you thought of that already, I'm thinking there's something in your question which goes without saying and I'm obviously unaware of it. You referring to nodes and different contexts?

Edited by McNistor

Unfortunately I'm not a very experienced Houdini user to know it inside-out in order for me to come up with suggestions that won't feel totally outlandish. All I can say with certainty is that XSI's explorer offers more info in one place. It's also possible to make a bit more sparing if all that info is not needed via its filters and toggles.

Unfortunately I'm not a very experienced Houdini user to know it inside-out in order for me to come up with suggestions that won't feel totally outlandish. All I can say with certainty is that XSI's explorer offers more info in one place. It's also possible to make a bit more sparing if all that info is not needed via its filters and toggles.

That would be interesting to build a poll to see the percentage of houdini guys that do use the outliner often and in which scenario.

Coming from Maya i'm supposed to be an outliner Maniac, and indeed i do love Maya outliner :)

But in the case of Houdini thing like mutliselection / parenting /duplication or moving object from different container are not possible in the outliner (or i have miss that possibility)

so at the end i never use it and always stuck with the node view.

But the fact that you don't like it so much is imo mainly an highlight on the disadvantage of H for modeling. Modeler don't need to master H to start working , they need 

Extrude / Merge / Slide / insert / Sculpt and voila just very simple tool that can be use intuitively. And with the ability to organise their models only by using a simple outliner.

Exposing the 12580 nodes that were used are not needeed. Ability to interact with houdini in a simple / intuitive way for non techies is just the missing  lego in the equation to 

do 100% of the work in H. An intuitive outliner with ability to select / parent / highlight a deformer is in fact one of those element.

Offuscate complexity for very artistic guys like modeler / animator under basic elements like a shelf / outliner / custom shortcuts is definitly a good idea imo.

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

Tricks to select multiple objs by holding shift/ctrl... in Network view.

Is there something that the tree-view can do which the list view in the net-view can't? Cause if there isn't, it's pretty much redundant. From a quick superficial analiyzis the shift+T list in the net-view seems a lot more powerful, so what's the deal with the tree-view, just a derelict kept there cause removing stuff is frowned upon?

Edited by McNistor

Tricks to select multiple objs by holding shift/ctrl... in Network view.

Is there something that the tree-view can do which the list view in the net-view can't? Cause if there isn't, it's pretty much redundant. From a quick superficial analiyzis the shift+T list in the net-view seems a lot more powerful, so what's the deal with the tree-view, just a derelict kept there cause removing stuff is frowned upon?

The List view of the network editor only shows nodes within a single level (ie, all objects at /obj, or all SOPs in /obj/geo1). The tree view shows the entire hierarchy of nodes in /. You can also pop open the tree view in a variety of different panes, like the parm and network pane. The Tree View is generally used for navigating to different networks. The List view of the network editor is generally used for managing flags and selecting OPs. In fact, the tree view + list net view in a single pane is a lot like how Windows File Explorer works.