Houdini 16 Wishlist

It would be great to have some aspects of Katana in Houdini. Like for examples takes could be node based so we could move them between hip files.

a Katana style lighting set-up can be done in Houdini - with HDAs and python

it wont be exactly the same but many of the useful features of Katana can be replicated.

More mapping options on the Environment Map feature of the Skylight. The help does not even tell us what kind of map goes in that slot? Is it equatorial, angular, spherical, cross-box? So add a drop down that supports all those mapping styles for the sky.

It's assumed to be a spherical map if there's a single plane in the image, and box if there are 6 planes (one plane for each face of the cube).

a Katana style lighting set-up can be done in Houdini - with HDAs and python

it wont be exactly the same but many of the useful features of Katana can be replicated.

Is it possible in Houdini to see the cooked/evaluated state of the scene hierarchy at any given node like in Katana ? This ability is pretty powerful when lighting shots or sequences.

Is it possible in Houdini to see the cooked/evaluated state of the scene hierarchy at any given node like in Katana ? This ability is pretty powerful when lighting shots or sequences.

not that I know of....

but there are other ways to manage things so you're not overwhelmed with data...

Would the performance monitor work for you?

Alternative if you could detail an RFE right SESI may be able to add something to the Dependency visualizations in the network pane. Maybe describe the specific parity you want in greater detail?

Only two requests:

1) An option to have nodes to only cook when the display toggle is on - or the nodes that depends on them

I always get nodes that cook when I just select them to move them around, why?

2) node snapping to the grid is unstable, the nodes sometimes move slightly off the grid, that drives me nuts :lol:

Edited by bunker

Sort of - you can RMB on any SOP and select Preview Window...  - but there is nothing for an Object based workflow, really. It would have to map to a different concept, I think.

David are you on H15 ? if i hit del in the material palette no matter what i do, it doesn't work ?

Oh right, in the Material Palette. I never use that, my bad. Seems to be a bug though? If you right-click -> Actions -> Delete, you can delete it - and it says the shortcut is "Del" there, so it should work I guess. You could submit it as a bug :)

2) node snapping to the grid is unstable, the nodes sometimes move slightly off the grid, that drives me nuts :lol:

In the network pane hit d open the Network Editor Display Options go to tab Grid and Snapping, 

My preference to avoid this is to uncheck Snap to Related Tiles(Nodes) and you can adjust the different gravity as necessary.

Those preferences only work on a single network pane at a time, so if your desktop pane configuration has multiple network panes, you'll need to do that for each network pane.

• 2 weeks later...

UV tile numbers, UDIMS, in UV viewport, and, grid unit numbers in viewport.

Edit: thanks michael I know you'll make it happen :) logged as RFE #74123 & #74124.

Edited by tar

• 3 weeks later...

Are better viewport shadows possible? Closer to mantra.

Also, ability to drag and drop group names from 'Group and Attribute list' to text fields.

post-8321-0-94270700-1458170846_thumb.pn

• 3 weeks later...