Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Multi-threaded everything, especially cloth.

It would be nice to have some kind of lip-synch face rig solution.

Also, hair should never go under the surface that it  is growing on.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

I want functions and conjugate gradient methods that can handle large sparse matrices in VEX

I want functions and conjugate gradient methods that can handle large sparse matrices in VEX

please please please!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tesla's fan said:

please please please!

I'll give an A+ for font use.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:09 AM, pusat said:

I would love to have this as a toggle where the pivot is always set to current selection. Geometry selection over object selection, etc.

https://vimeo.com/241036613#comment_16154324 

Cristin Barghiel9 hours ago

Glad to tell you that zooming and tumbling under the cursor, using ‘s’ as a sticky/volatile key for selection in the viewport and network editor, and many other much-requested features like them are indeed in H16.5. We simply couldn’t mention them all in our presentation.

Edited by tar

On 11/2/2017 at 10:09 PM, pusat said:

I would love to have this as a toggle where the pivot is always set to current selection. Geometry selection over object selection, etc.

Yeah, I'd love to have that too. For me, tumbling under the cursor is not that useful. I've explained and possibly have shown gifs with the inherent dis/advantages and differences between "selection" and "under cursor" tumbling, but I guess it didn't stick with the devs.

Not saying this new addition is harmful in any way, quite the contrary. I just wish "tumble/orbit around selection" would've seen the light at least as soon as this one.

Edited by McNistor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 8:19 PM, McNistor said:

Yeah, I'd love to have that too. For me, tumbling under the cursor is not that useful. I've explained and possibly have shown gifs with the inherent dis/advantages and differences between "selection" and "under cursor" tumbling, but I guess it didn't stick with the devs.

Not saying this new addition is harmful in any way, quite the contrary. I just wish "tumble/orbit around selection" would've seen the light at least as soon as this one.

this?

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 10.11.41 AM.png

@marty That seems to do the job. Works well on components, but for some reason is ignored for objects. Maybe it's the intended behavior, either way, I can love with it. Thanks for the info!

p.s. I have a RFE for this and for some reason I haven't been informed about this feature being implemented. Will check with them soon.

edit1: seems like it's working for objects too after a framing (space+F) on one.

edit2: I think I've figured what's casing the tumble pivot to become "unfocused" - it's after a camera panning; I think it should re-update the pivot on selection after every camera action, which currently it fails to do. Will file a bug report.

Edited by McNistor

33 minutes ago, McNistor said:

edit2: I think I've figured what's casing the tumble pivot to become "unfocused" - it's after a camera panning; I think it should re-update the pivot on selection after every camera action, which currently it fails to do. Will file a bug report.

Check the preference just above to the right 'Maintain Viewport Pivot when Panning'

@marty Methinks I should do less testing in the viewport and more reading on that preferences tab. Again, thanks for the info!

edit: it appears that translating an object will fail to update the pivot. One has to deselect and reselect in order to update. This time I've looked in the prefs but found nothing related. Will check with support to see what's what.

Edited by McNistor

Re-imagine the For Each Blocks. I find the current language (Meta Import, Feedback, etc) needlessly confusing and the layout (while extremely nice aesthetically) doesn't add clarity, but rather adds a confusing DOPs-like weirdness to the otherwise straight-forward SOPs. Case in point, you set the block paramaters up in the Block End node. And I strongly disagree with the help docs statement that this is less confusion than copy stamping.  

15 hours ago, kev2 said:

I strongly disagree with the help docs statement that this is less confusion than copy stamping.  

I respectfully disagree with that. (and agree with the documentation)

Have you tried both H16 and 16.5?
In 16.5 the tab menu is more specific with looping types, such as adding "foreach connectivity"

its also unfair to compare it to copy stamping, compared to the old foreach subnetwork, its just worlds better:
its faster, more stable, more difficult to make mistakes and easier to debug as well, with the new single pass option.
and like the documentation also points out: "The stamp expression function is the ultimate spooky action at a distance."
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/model/compile

Edited by acey195
now mentions the single pass option as well

18 hours ago, kev2 said:

Re-imagine the For Each Blocks. I find the current language (Meta Import, Feedback, etc) needlessly confusing and the layout (while extremely nice aesthetically) doesn't add clarity, but rather adds a confusing DOPs-like weirdness to the otherwise straight-forward SOPs. Case in point, you set the block paramaters up in the Block End node. And I strongly disagree with the help docs statement that this is less confusion than copy stamping.  

One of the things I did as a preset for the metadata node that could help you and maybe others for stamping is I created four parameters(iteration, numiteration, value, ivalue) that contains the expression detail(".",$CH,0), so unlike the labels you can just channel reference to those values for your stamping expression. 

I did find it weird when they first introduced the new foreach loop the metadata node did just float un-wired to other nodes and only relied on the block path. When you do more complex foreach loop operations it makes a bit more sense than simple ones.

I would agree with Twan though, the current setup is highly better than the old foreach sop and stamping expression for apples to apples comparisons. Maybe a few tweaks would be ok. 

3 minutes ago, LaidlawFX said:

One of the things I did as a preset for the metadata node that could help you and maybe others for stamping is I created four parameters(iteration, numiteration, value, ivalue) that contains the expression detail(".",$CH,0), so unlike the labels you can just channel reference to those values for your stamping expression. 

I did find it weird when they first introduced the new foreach loop the metadata node did just float un-wired to other nodes and only relied on the block path. When you do more complex foreach loop operations it makes a bit more sense than simple ones.

I would agree with Twan though, the current setup is highly better than the old foreach sop and stamping expression for apples to apples comparisons. Maybe a few tweaks would be ok. 

Nice tip. I never found copy stamping to be all that confusing but to be sure, the old for loop subnet business was really strange. The new For Loop blocks are powerful and I'm sure I'll get used to them but using fairly high level labels such as "metadata" and "feedback" to describe "Loop Information" and "Iterate On Top the Result of the Last Loop" might be concise but are so abstract as to be confusing.