Auto retopo, see Zremesher

A set of simple, solid nurbs tools, see Moi3d/Fusion 360

Quick walk cycles in chops for the new rigs, see CAT in 3dsmax

GPU Mantra

Continue to improve modeling and uv tools

Edited by Octo

9 hours ago, sebkaine said:

those are a stupid one

- edit > color settings > color scheme > houdiniPro -> the network view keep the dark color scheme, bring back the mid-grey color would be nice

- the big Houdini Indie Tag on the network view is kinda annoying and attract the eyes

If the deal with settings that offer, then we can achieve the color scheme in the Pro version. The only thing that I could not do it properly edging around the node, it is not enough.

obj_01.jpeg

dop_01.jpeg

14 hours ago, Thomas Helzle said:

For the copy node(s) that makes sense, for the multiple wrangles and vops (if they are indeed as identical as they look to me) not really?

They are aliases. The concept was that when replacing VopSop that people learning, from tutorials, and veterans would prefer this. It most likely stopped a lot of forum posts asking where is so and so node, as the new distinct group nodes are already starting to do. Since that was 2 versions ago, it's probably is time to remove them but the underlying concept that people find it confusing is of great psychological value!

On another note - was H16 meant to ship with a faux bevel edge shader? Can't find it thus far so this would be good to have in H17

Well ben i agree that many loves the dark palette more, i don't want to replace that, the thing is that there are 3 default theme

- bright grey

- mid grey

- dark grey

each one was able to pick his favorite one before h16. Now those who prefer bright or mid are force to use the dark grey theme for the network view.

i don't ask to replace the dark grey theme by an other color , i just ask that previous theme to stay the same as in previous H versions.

Cheers

E

Are u saying they dropped the previous color palettes? I won't have much access to Houdini this week so i can't check at the moment. You should be able to go to preferences or desktops, and pick the other color palettes or build your own custom palettes, and even download some cool ones. I would bug sesi if they dropped the older color palette from that menu. I know when they switched the default, people were up in arms around me like i changed the studio default. So i understand the feelings.

On 23/02/2017 at 4:23 AM, Thomas Helzle said:

+1

Yeah, that feels rather silly. Houdini has so many nodes already, duplicating them multiple times for no good reason is the wrong way to go about it. I no longer bother with the "different" wrangles for a while now and just stumbled upon the multiple copy nodes in 16, which I find confusing instead of helpful.

I don't think it will help newbies either, since one of the major hurdles IS the sheer number of nodes. Finding out some of them are actually the same makes one feel rather more confused than enlightened...

Cheers,

Tom

It's a bit tricky but yeah, I can attest to the fact that too many nodes is one of the most daunting factors when learning Houdini.

While I like the general direction Houdini is taking with splitting up nodes into smaller nodes that do one thing ( like the split up group nodes that make it much easier to use them ) in some cases it might be undesirable and downright confusing. Not to mention following older tuts adds to the confusion

Eg : I just used the duplicate node and the node type shows up as Copy and Transform Sop (copyxform). Flummoxed I used a copy and transform node and it is the exact same thing.

Perhaps some house cleaning is in order. 

And while we are on the topic of wishlists reg nodes... a way to collapse a chain of nodes under one 'folder' or 'pack' node would help reduce the clutter, especially for a chain of nodes that are accessing or passing information only one way  ( not talking about subnets etc ). A simple toggle can collapse and uncollapse them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, acey195 said:

You can already collapse them if you put them in a netbox ;) (the most left icon in the group of 4, that contains the subnet, at the top of the network view), next to the sticky icon

doh !!.. Thanks :)

Was this in Houdini 15.5 as well ?

Edited by nisachar
Additional comments

1 hour ago, nisachar said:

doh !!.. Thanks :)

Was this in Houdini 15.5 as well ?

I'm pretty sure that feature has been in there for a long while now :P

H16 does make the snippets and netboxes much better though :)
the automatic expansion of the windows if you move nodes and the snapping is much improved.

1 hour ago, acey195 said:

I'm pretty sure that feature has been in there for a long while now :P

H16 does make the snippets and netboxes much better though :)
the automatic expansion of the windows if you move nodes and the snapping is much improved.

hmm. Yeah.

Any idea how to have the netbox expand to show longer text?

So we want to consolidate and remove nodes, improve workflows and efficiency with new tech, increase node discoverability and make it easy to follow old tutorials with the old nodes... I'm am getting all this correct? :lol:

Edited by tar

I've been trying to model in Houdini and am finding its still not quite there. (unless I'm missing something of course.)

All the new tools are excellent, but the inability to manipulate the pivot in the edit SOP like you can in the Transform SOP, make fast alignment a pain, and slow modelling down too much to make it viable just yet.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Ok, you got me there. That does indeed do what I wanted!

I missed it I think as the Transform SOP does it differently, and the Edit SOP's user page doesn't mention it at all. Nor do the quick start videos on editing points. The right click menus don't have the ' shortcut on it either, despite having all the other handle stuff (that I know of) 

Thanks for the tip! I'll try again and see if I can model as fast in Houdini as elsewhere. I would love to never have to leave.

(edit - Oh dear. I just found that its a checkbox called attach to geometry..... Well, that was obscure to me at least.)

Edited by rich_lord

On 2/15/2017 at 9:38 PM, LaidlawFX said:

Where did you find this hidden bit of wisdom, lol! Thanks!

On 2/16/2017 at 8:34 PM, Thomas Helzle said:

Well, IMO there is a lot more that could be done. The auto-complete could also offer local variables, existing attributes and group names to prevent typing errors etc. - showing the parameters of commands would be of course the most helpful thing.
Then the whole slew of helpful code editing and formatting functionality that most editors have today like editing all occurrences of a variable name at once, highlighting other occurrences if one is selected, etc. I guess we all know better code editors than the one in Houdini...

More helpful error messages would also be great, often I have no clue from them what they are about.

I personally will continue to hope that now that the nodes saw a lot of love, the editor is next.

Cheers,

Tom

Don't hold your breath. I asked for this many times and my last RFE was marked unlikely. SESI knows it's a lot of work.

On 2/15/2017 at 8:02 PM, f1480187 said:

@acey195, if you write function name, place cursor inside it and press F1, it will open help page for that function.

I use it all the time but it annoys me that the cursor has to be inside the word, otherwise doesn't work. I filed RFE for this already.

51 minutes ago, pusat said:

Don't hold your breath. I asked for this many times and my last RFE was marked unlikely. SESI knows it's a lot of work.

I use it all the time but it annoys me that the cursor has to be inside the word, otherwise doesn't work. I filed RFE for this already.

Well, since someof my requested functionality already exists in normal entry fields in H16 when editing expressions, (showing syntax and help on the current command I'm in) I don't know if it's indeed such a big deal to add it to the editor. The infrastructure at least seems to exist. I will of course not hold my breath ( ;-) ) but I don't see it as totally out there either and it's the logical thing to do.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1