Redshift users, post your tips tricks here please!

Ok, so not a whole lot of Houdini Love over on the Redshift forums. Mostly Maya, 3dmax, C4D (in that order)

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/10860/

Hence the reason for my posting here.

Anyone care to share any Redshift tips, tricks and tutorials specific to Houdini users?

Here is one great tip that Adrian from Redshift  was kind enough to share for customizing RS Spot lights

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/12283/#79060

Here is a Python script I wrote, Images As Planes, that reads in images in a folder and creates Redshift Materials with texture maps for each image in the folder. If you are looking into creating materials for Redshift, via python, consider this example code.

Here is a procedural planet rendered in Redshift. It routes VEX/VOP generated noise attributes to Redshift materials.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_rs_procedural_planet_050517.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 6

Create a Redshift SpotLight, unlock the HDA and then use the Jump button to jump into the Redshift light shader. From there you can connect a rsTexture to the color input of the light to project an image as the light.(i.e. light gobo)

Untitled-2.jpg

ap_rs_spotlight_gobo.hiplc

If you enable Volumetric on the Redshift ROP and set the Volume Contribution value for the Spotlight greater than 0, you get a volumetric light.

Untitled-2.jpg

ap_rs_spotlight_gobo_volumetric.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here is a Redshift instancing ground cover setup. The meshes included come from cc0 sources. This mesh set contains grass and spring time plants but the system can scatter any mesh set across the target surface. (i.e. rocks, trees, plants etc...)

Untitled-1.jpg

This scene uses the image based volumetric spotlight to achieve colorization.Untitled-1.jpg

ap_rs_instance_ground_cover_050517.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, sometimes I like to watch paint dry too.:huh: (especially when I'm paid by the hour)

Here is an example scene that demonstrates lighting with only material emission. There are no lights in this scene. The shader uses a RaySwitch to decouple material based emission from incandescent emission. This allows you to overdrive incandescent output while not blowing out your diffuse. You can even choose an alternate color for the incandescent light as shown in this scene. The sphere emits RED but the incandescent emits BLUE.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_rs_light_by_material.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys!!

This is not a tip, but a question:

I'm doing a crowd sim in Houdini, appling a simple RSMaterial and exporting it as RSProxy so it can be rendered in Maya (the renderfarm is all based maya-redshift) and I want to have more control in the shading, most of it when it gets to lighting.

I have seen that RS allow us to override the material and so far I have manage to do this from proxies comming out from Maya, but how can I do the same with the RSProxies that I export from Houdini if in H doesn't have any shading groups?

Thanks for any help.
Jason Leandro.

21 hours ago, PalTopin said:

Hi guys!!

This is not a tip, but a question:

I'm doing a crowd sim in Houdini, appling a simple RSMaterial and exporting it as RSProxy so it can be rendered in Maya (the renderfarm is all based maya-redshift) and I want to have more control in the shading, most of it when it gets to lighting.

I have seen that RS allow us to override the material and so far I have manage to do this from proxies comming out from Maya, but how can I do the same with the RSProxies that I export from Houdini if in H doesn't have any shading groups?

Thanks for any help.
Jason Leandro.

This is the reply I got from Adrian of RS Support to override the material from Houdini in Maya.

"To override proxy materials in Maya you need to name the shading group of you material the same name as the material in Houdini for instance by replacing the “/” with “_” so /mat/rsMaterial becomes _mat_rsMaterial

Hope it helps

Cheers

A"

Hope this help someone else :)
Regards!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Can someone share knowledge for creating a script button that load RS rope, a RSdomelight (or RSarealight) and a camera. I'm just spending time over an over when begining a new scene..

Thank u for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 9:48 AM, Atom said:

Solitude posted a nice Mantra setup that shows how to advect Cd through a volume. I went ahead and ported it to Redshift for rendering. Now you can use an image to colorize your smoke.

untitled-1.jpg

ap_rs_solitude_pyro_cd_060118.hiplc

Hi @Atom,

Thanks for sharing all these amazing tricks with the community!

I downloaded your ap_rs_solitude_pyro_cd_060118.hiplc and it works perfectly as is. I tried to replicate the setup node by node (in order to use in a commercial version of Houdini) but I can't replicate the full behavior. There must be some node, attribute or buried property that I'm missing. Any chance you would have a .hip version of the file? Do you have the link to the original Solitude post you are referring to? The setup looks straight forward, but perhaps some steps need to be done in a specific order, as I have replicated every node in a .hip file and it still doesn't work (can't get the smoke to colorize). Any tip on how to recreate the file would help tremendously!

Thanks