Linux Mint pros cons

art3mis

Currently running Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Quite happy with it but keep coming across other Houdini users using Mint.

There is a Mate flavor of Mint as well but my understanding is that in general, Ubuntu is more 'Mac like' and Mint more 'Windows like'.

Other than that Mint apparently handles PPA's better than Ubuntu.

Any other reasons why Mint might be a better option for Houdini users?

Edited by art3mis

If I had to make the decision today to choose a Linux flavour, I'd probably go with Ubuntu 17.10. They've dropped Unity and gone back to Gnome, and also allow other WMs like KDE. I haven't been impressed with the (in)stability of Cinnamon on Mint, and there's also the question of security since the Mint team has made some questionable decisions forking from the main debian branch.

Thanks!

Thinking of getting the AMD TR.

After reading these articles wondering if I need to upgrade to 17.10 to fully take advantage of the new CPU?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-Newer-Kernel

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=tr1950x-7900x-3os&num=1

"Ubuntu 17.10 is currently making use of the Linux 4.12 kernel, GCC 7.2.0, and an EXT4 file-system. "

Edited by art3mis

14 hours ago, art3mis said:

Currently running Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Quite happy with it but keep coming across other Houdini users using Mint.

I started using Linux Mint because Unity is crap. I used Ubuntu GNOME for a while but it was a second class citizen in the Ubuntu ecosystem which got old fast. I haven't seen any other benefit to Linux Mint other than the interface is better than Unity. Once Ubuntu goes back to GNOME for an LTS release I'll probably move back to Ubuntu. That should be with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

There is a Mate flavor of Mint as well but my understanding is that in general, Ubuntu is more 'Mac like' and Mint more 'Windows like'.

The interfaces have some quirks that are reminiscent of other platforms but under the hood they're exactly the same. If you like one interface over another then use it but beyond that there's no difference.

Other than that Mint apparently handles PPA's better than Ubuntu.

They handle them practically the same. One has a slightly different GUI to add them but most people add them through the terminal so it's a moot point.

Any other reasons why Mint might be a better option for Houdini users?

I would say it's a worse option now that GNOME is going to be a first class citizen again in Ubuntu. Either way though the differences are going to be minimal. Just be sure you're going with something that has sufficient support for your needs.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Atom said:

I guess I'll try the Qt4 for now. I don't see any Qt5 build available on the SideFX site.

The non qt4 download is the qt5 version.

Out of interest are others also confused by this? 

On 12/13/2017 at 11:15 PM, Atom said:

That is the one I chose. I have Houdini installed and running on Ubuntu 17.10. So yeah!

Hi Atom

Does Houdini crash for you with the new RenderView option in latest Redshift plugin (2.5.49) ?

It does for me and is apparently a known issue with 17.10

According to Juanjo at RS

I can reproduce the crash using Ubuntu 17.10,

I am able to render just fine out of Redshift 2.5.49, on Ubuntu 17.10, using nVidia 1070GTX. I did have to visit the nVidia website and install the latest drivers via a .deb file.

Screenshot from 2017-12-15 17-28-55.png

Edited by Atom

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 11:59 PM, Atom said:

I am able to render just fine out of Redshift 2.5.49, on Ubuntu 17.10, using nVidia 1070GTX. I did have to visit the nVidia website and install the latest drivers via a .deb file.

in

Just to check if you found high temperature issues on your GPU while rendering with redshift,

I am on centos 7 now and my card in idle mode is around 50 while in windows 7 it remain around 30.

any app to install to manage the fan of vga like what evga or asus provide on windows?

I have not had any temperature issues with running Redshift on Ubuntu 17.10. But I don't monitor or think about it too much either. I do hear the GPU fans ramp up and down when rendering. Which does sound different from the CPU fans that make noise more often when I am simming.